Need new speakers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys. Thank you very much for the input. Though I haven't decided which way I'm going to go yet (I know the answer seems obvious,) I will at least be able to make an informed decision because of the information you guys are giving me.

The only issue is that I don't think I have the floor space for 2 gigantic monitors. The smaller speakers with the Logitech and Creative sets would probably work better, but I do want quality that will last.

No need to worry about offending me. I prefer the truth straight up and appreciate you giving your true opinion. The only reason I posted the computer speakers is because the Creative set that I had bought second hand sounded amazing to me. Maybe I've never truly heard GOOD sound quality before.

So this is what you recommend EricB? M-Audio Studiophile BX5a from zZounds.com!
If so, do you have any recommendations that cost a bit less? If not that's cool too.

He doesnt "need" to use them but can if he wants, so i recommended them. It seems like you keep ignoring various things ive said, im just making simple recommendations based on my experiences with audio.

I use my monitors to game, watch movies, record/edit music, listen to music....etc. They can last many, many years and are less likely to "pop" or blow even under continuous stress, due to the higher standards with which they are made.

Cables and a small mixer, i dont think thats much. The only reason a mixer is need is to control the gain externally, they can hook up directly to his soundcard, but then he would have to use the soundcards software to control the volume. Thats why i said he can go to guitar center, and see for himself if he likes them.

Its not hard to connect either:

soundcard line out - mixer line in - monitors to mixer main out

Especially a nice soundcard like his, would benefit from having better speakers.
I am not ignoring anything. I am just pointing out things you are ignoring. I understand you point on this, i really do. But he just wants something to listen to music as he uses headphones to game.

You use your speakers for much more. So it is good for you to use something like this. But for someone to just listen to music? It maybe a bit extreme. Even though he may like the suggestion.

You say it isnt hard to connect. But this could be the first time for him and he might not fully understand how to do it. So while it maybe simple and easy for you. It would be very difficult for a beginner to do this at first glance. ;)

I am just trying to say, lets not suggest things that are overboard for a common user. While they are good for you they are extreme for a common user. That is all i am saying.

I am not ignoring anything. I am just pointing out things you are ignoring. I understand you point on this, i really do. But he just wants something to listen to music as he uses headphones to game.

You use your speakers for much more. So it is good for you to use something like this. But for someone to just listen to music? It maybe a bit extreme. Even though he may like the suggestion.

You say it isnt hard to connect. But this could be the first time for him and he might not fully understand how to do it. So while it maybe simple and easy for you. It would be very difficult for a beginner to do this at first glance. ;)

I am just trying to say, lets not suggest things that are overboard for a common user. While they are good for you they are extreme for a common user. That is all i am saying.

Let me lay it down for you, starting now.

I need some new speakers for my PC. I have a Creative X-FI Platinum sound card, and I really can't listen to anything unless it has very good quality.....Remember though, they need to produce good sound quality.

He wants good sound quality.

watch what you say. we take this to heart. you sounded clear in your statement on what you wanted, but no computer speaker will ever sound good. you can never get good sound from small speakers in plastic enclosures.

I can't recommend good computer speakers because there are none. I usually stay out of these posts just so I won't offend anyone. but if people are specific like you were, I will answer

EricB is right, a tiny speaker in a plastic enclosure will never sound good.

Alright guys. Thank you very much for the input. Though I haven't decided which way I'm going to go yet (I know the answer seems obvious,) I will at least be able to make an informed decision because of the information you guys are giving me.

The only issue is that I don't think I have the floor space for 2 gigantic monitors. The smaller speakers with the Logitech and Creative sets would probably work better, but I do want quality that will last.

No need to worry about offending me. I prefer the truth straight up and appreciate you giving your true opinion. The only reason I posted the computer speakers is because the Creative set that I had bought second hand sounded amazing to me. Maybe I've never truly heard GOOD sound quality before.

So this is what you recommend EricB? M-Audio Studiophile BX5a from zZounds.com!
If so, do you have any recommendations that cost a bit less? If not that's cool too.

Thats the misconception with many people, they never truly heard sound the way its reproduced so a 5.1 or 2.1 system from wal-mart will sound amazing, when it really doesnt. The first monitors i linked you are not that big, and they sit next to your screen on each side. Dont worry, theyre magnetically shielded so they wont harm it.

Hypothetically:
If I really wanted a 5.1 speaker system for my PC. What would you suggest? Would it even be possible to get a 5.1 system that meets your standards for the price range I posted?

I'm asking only out of curiosity...I figure if 2 "monitors" (why are they called monitors anyway?) cost that much money with NO sub. How much would a 5.1 surround system cost?

Theyre called monitors because theyre used to monitor sound while recording/editing audio. Like i said, the better monitors dont need any type of sub, because they create enough low end by themselves. Pc speakers are so small, that if you take away the sub they dont have any low end at all.

This is a 5.1 studio monitor setup:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MediaDesk51/

Yeah its a little pricey, but thats used for mixing and monitor stuff in surround sound, like movies..etc

Here is a 2.1 version:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXO21/

The price is pretty good, and i actually have heard these and dont be fooled by the size, they sound very good. A lot of guys use these with other monitors together to create a wider range of sound, but they do sound pretty good alone.

This would be the high end 5.1 setup, used to mix surround sound for movies by professionals:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SkySys51/

ROFL

Mak - With all due respect, you're wrong. What better to listen to music on than the same type of equipment that it was recorded, mixed and produced with? Studio monitors provide the best possible, accurate sound. They are designed to out-perform ANY "home" or "PC" speaker. Basically, what your saying is, in an analogy, if someone owned a game that could go some ridiculous widescreen resolution, but viewing it on a 13" B/W CRT. He may not NEED a 20" LCD with crazy resolutions, but thats what the game was designed for. Music is made with and for good equipment, why sacrifice? Music may not NEED studio monitors, but that is what it was created with!

I love the way Eric worded his post... we don't suggest PC speakers because there isn't any ones to suggest without paying the money that you would if you bought a nice set of monitors. Good grief.

I don't recommend gaming for studio monitors, but the OP said he uses a headset (PERFECT!). PC speakers are mainly designed for gaming... but he is going to use these speakers for MUSIC... what better to play it on than something that was designed to play it... monitors! A good set of monitors will blow away any computer speakers, period. I have had so many people listen to mine and actually look around the room for where all the sound is coming from. Accurate, flat, and powerful. My 60w biamp monitors sound better than my 1,000w 7.1 onkyo system. Wonder why...

I wish people on here would sit back and listen sometimes... no one takes advice anymore... they just fight it. For some reason or another, there are quite a few of us audiophiles (and myself as an engineer) that agree, but the people who aren't fight our knowledge and experience. What's that about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom