Need Headphones and a Volume question

ckop11

In Runtime
Well a few questions. I am in need of some new Head phones for my computer.
I currently am using cheap Sennheiser 201 pros that the plastic broke when i stepped on them. I actually love them for what i paid.. I use them for gaming (WoW) But always listen to music(youtube) when im playing.

To me the sound coming from my system has always been low.. maybe i just have bad hearing? i listen to everything loud... but would a sound card fix this? would that let me increase volume?

and what about sound quality? when using youtube n pandora to listen to music, is a 300 dollar pair of headphones going to make a big difference to say a 50 dollar pair?

Are those new spiffy gaming headsets worth it? with the mic? i have a mic if i would ever need it?

and finally what are a good pair of headphones for around 100-150 for my need (unless my needs dont even call for that)

Last edited:
but would a sound card fix this? would that let me increase volume?
A decent sound card with a built-in amplifier would indeed make things louder for you.

when using youtube n pandora to listen to music, is a 300 dollar pair of headphones going to make a big difference to say a 50 dollar pair?
Definitely won't make a difference with YouTube, and will probably make a bit of difference with Pandora, but I don't know what the audio quality from Pandora is like.

Are those new spiffy gaming headsets worth it? with the mic? i have a mic if i would ever need it?
The build quality on gaming headsets tends to be significantly lower than that on equivalently-priced sets of headphones, so personally I prefer to use a separate mic.

and finally what are a good pair of headphones for around 100-150 for my need (unless my needs dont even call for that)
I really like my Sennheiser HD449 headphones. They're an absolute tank; in the year I've had them I've treated them like crap, thrown them, stood on them, etc. and they might as well be like new. I'd prefer them to be every so slightly more bassy, but I prefer strong mids and highs to strong bass.

Last edited:
Loud volumes lead to hearing loss. If you're having to jack the volume up over time, you need to back off for a while. Either that or get fitted for hearing aids soon.

Hey CKop11, I recently was looking into getting some headphones for my desktop. After reading a but about the different brands of headphones I ended up getting the Denon AHGC20 Globe Cruisers. They are noise cancelling so they help me focus on the work i'm doing. I came across them here Best Noise-Cancelling Headphones - Headphone Charts and they have some other pretty good ones!

I find headsets are very individual to each person.

1) comfort- we are have different heads/ears physically - too small, too large, too hot, too heavy, etc.

2) just like speakers - some people like speakers that are bass heavy, some don't: some like great horn midranges - some don't listen to anything that has a horn in it.

3) Cordless or not?

4) What kind = Over the ear vs. on the ear vs. well you get my meaning.

So, best to test them out yourself regarding comfort - minimal 15 minutes to know if they are goign to be uncomfortable for you. And then note what type of audio you listed to - then decide what you personally like to hear in your audio. Then decide. Chances are - you don't need to invest in a sound card - unless you really an audiophile and it is used to clear up the lower end and if that's the case - your better off using a headphone amp - not a sound card. And I agree - too loud- ear damage.

Just my 2 cents - I actually have purchase no less than 10 headphones in the past 2 years - for myself, the wife, and 3 kids. And no one pair has even come close to be liked by all. I have a different pair I game on - vs. listen to music with.

LOL- just realized = this is a very old thread.

I I have been using V-MODA Crossfade LP for a month, and sometimes I have feeling that I gonna lose my hearing at all, because these headphones are monsters!
I've found a list of good headphones, including my own, you might be interested in.
https://www.bestadvisor.com/best-headphones
If nothing helps, and the problem with your hearing, I am sorry my friend.

ojW0WKQ.png

Back
Top Bottom