Is my computer 5.1 compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jane2

Beta member
Hi, I have a very limited knowledge about computers but one thing I do know is that I need some new speakers. I found some I like which are these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-X-...LCMK4/ref=sr_11_1/026-4825589-7093230?ie=UTF8

which I think are 5.1 speakers. I understand that this means you need some kind of a driver in order to use all of the speakers. I have a laptop (Asus M5N) which has an internal sound card driver thing of some kind, which is a Soundmax Integrated Audio 5.12.01.4010 - is there any way I can tell whether this is 5.1 compatible?

I don't want to have to buy a new soundcard. When I looked on the soundmax website, it seemed to say that if I used a codec AD1980 then I would be able to use 5.1, however, I could not figure out where to get this codec from (or whether it was a physical thing, or a downloadable thing (which is what I had assumed it would be, having downloaded codecs in the past)).

I hope my question makes vague sense. I would be really grateful for some help with what is probably an incredibly dumb question.

Many many thanks in advance

Jane

Thanks so much for that. Does the external sound card have extra plugs for me to plug the lines from the speakers into? I understand that 5.1 speakers have a few more wires than I can currently plug into my laptop (which just has a headphone socket)? Are the sockets actually on the card..?

Yes it does, conventional 5.1 speakers have 3 plugs, the card uses a USB to connect to your computer and it has 3 other color or wording coordinated plugs for the 5.1 speaker.

If you don't want to shell out the extra bucks, you can use a three way headphone splitter and then have "fake" surround sound but I assume you want the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom