My audio setup - check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
molsen said:
i find it very hard to get enough treble without that high-pitched noise coming back. maybe thats because i'm kinda deaf, especially around 3khz (cymbal crashes in my band). and often 3khz is where much of the perceived volume of music comes from.

that is the frequency (3khz) in which the ear is the most sensitive too. you always want to attenuate the frequencies from 2-4khz just a little bit bit. 250hz (middle c) is the true midrange and it is where the most music come from

yea i'll agree with that. the human ear isn't real picky with how mids sound sometimes. the midbass and highs is where tracks that i've mixed have needed the most focus. and it's the the highs that can sound really harsh or really weak VERY easily because of the ear's sensitivity to them at certain frequencies.

as far as highs go when mixing music, whatever instrument or vocal has the most 3khz is going to stick out more. that's why i always give vocals a little 3k-4k boost to help them take a little more focus. i usually boost the guitars a little around 1k-2k and the drum cymbals 6k+. but that's just what works for my band. i mixed my friend's band and the ranges were completely different.

wow this is getting offtopic.

ericb, that sucks to hear about your ribbon tweeters. that must have been so frustrating.

molsen said:
yea i'll agree with that. the human ear isn't real picky with how mids sound sometimes. the midbass and highs is where tracks that i've mixed have needed the most focus. and it's the the highs that can sound really harsh or really weak VERY easily because of the ear's sensitivity to them at certain frequencies.

as far as highs go when mixing music, whatever instrument or vocal has the most 3khz is going to stick out more. that's why i always give vocals a little 3k-4k boost to help them take a little more focus. i usually boost the guitars a little around 1k-2k and the drum cymbals 6k+. but that's just what works for my band. i mixed my friend's band and the ranges were completely different.

wow this is getting offtopic.

ericb, that sucks to hear about your ribbon tweeters. that must have been so frustrating.

yeah I know.
I added links above to give you an idea on what i destroyed

my car tweeters and my bedroom speaker are ribbons whereas my paradigm sound close enough to scare me from taking the test (I think the paradigm have circuit protection in them)

do anybody remember these classics rare car audio speakers? the last I checked, I think that the last time they were produce was 1994
MyComputer026.jpg

don't we always get off topic?

I was destroying my ears back back in the day (1988-1994) when I learned that attenuating those frequencies would prolong it. I always listened to loud music, but I haven't heard the ringing that i use to always get in my ears, in 12 plus years. I use buy musician earplug (attenuate all frequencies evenly) back then, so I could keep bumpin'

yea... the human ear is most sensitive at 3khz which is one of the frequencies I HATE.

Eric - Do NOT use the test on your ribbons... it will destroy them.

As for this test... no matter what I can not get that high pitch frequency out. I have everything set the way it should be and i tried every thing else. There is no way. I know proper gain structure and that is how it is set.

If your answer is B that is still acceptable.

If you answer A, disable all things like cmss3d, eax, eq, etc and try again.

Crysalis said:
yea... the human ear is most sensitive at 3khz which is one of the frequencies I HATE.

god i used to hate it too. i used to get so annoyed by it. but now that i'm getting deafer in that freq., my ears almost "crave" it sometimes. weird, i know. ablums that i used to dislike because of the pronounced 2k-4k curve are now some of my favorite:beard:

oh man... i can't STAND it I always hate calibrating live SR systems because i ALWAYS want to really cut everything from 1-3khz and I can't because it wouldn't be right! AHHH

Crysalis said:

Eric - Do NOT use the test on your ribbons... it will destroy them.

As for this test... no matter what I can not get that high pitch frequency out. I have everything set the way it should be and i tried every thing else. There is no way. I know proper gain structure and that is how it is set.

I suspect that you have extended range tweeters or an impedance peak in them so there will alway be some supersonic material there. if it is from an impedance peak (most dynamic tweeters have them) than you can put a Zoeble Network on it.

for an 8 ohm tweeter it would be an 8 ohm resistor and a 1mfd cap wire in series with the speaker after the crossover. but I wouldn't worry about it either way. most impedance peaks are beyond the range of hearing with most music. they occur in the 18khz-20khz range. the zoeble network would smooth it out, but like i said, it isn't audible with most music

zoeble.jpg

here is an example of an impedance peak curve that dynamic tweeters without impedance compensation tend to exhibit.

zoeble001.jpg

my ribbon problem is that it play out to 100khz. it extend the response to regular music (when make it sound better), but the thin aluminum film can't play purposely made massive tones of that extended sound. a dynamic tweeter won't blow because it is more rugged (which is why it don't extend out as far) and it has a natural fall off point after 20khz that won't let that massive supersonic energy though

you can play that tone in the garage and it will chase all of the bugs and rodents out of there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom