My 2nd DIY Amplifier ( Millet Starving Student Hybrid Tube Amp )

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
So I just finished building my Starving Student Millet headphone amp, it sounds amazing. This is my first tube amp and I have instantly fallen in love with tubes. Just have to organize the wires a bit more but I am done for today :D

img3690mq3.jpg

img3697uy2.jpg

img3698qj7.jpg

Nice...what kind of tubes did you use?

I use a Groove Tubes 12XA7 in my tube preamp to give the vocals a warmer sound.

SameDayMusic.com: Groove Tubes 12AX7, Russian

The amp only accepts 19j6 tubes, and so far there are no alternatives. I am currently using Sylvania tubes...they sound very good. I was using some DuMont tubes which I sort of preferred. They had a little less accuracy and highs detail, but sounded a bit more full, warm, and "tubey". Unfortunately I made a noob mistake and accidentally sent 48V through the tube, which made it glow less than the other one and I suspect it does not have much life left. I have another few tubes coming in, one of which is a DuMont...so maybe that will match more closely to the one good Dumont i still have.

I am also using some pretty good components, so my amp isn't so "starving" :D :
-Panasonic FC and Nichicon PW power caps
-Nichicon Muse ES output caps bypassed with Wima MKP10
-All Dale RND55 series metal film 1% resistors
-Alps RK09 volume knob

that looks really nice!
would you mind recommending some starter guides for a simple DIY amp?

Thanks....and this amp really is quite simple. My terrible wiring mess makes it look a bit more complicated than it is. However the best beginner's project is probably the CMOY How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier However, your source that you are amplifying is pretty important as well. I would recommend a good DAC or sound card at least before building a headphone amplifier. Also good headphones are helpful :) I am using Sennheiser HD 580

As for the starving student.....There's some more info here Starving Student hybrid ...and here's the schematic

starvi1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom