Musings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcohen

Banned
I have been listening to music for many years and was musing the other day about how far music recordings have come in my life time. When I first started out there were turntables only and one never picked one up for fear of scratching the records and certainly never hung from your belt. While I was listening a transition was made to tapes, which eliminated the scratching problem and one could hang a player from your belt if you did not mind your pants hitting the floor, the newer ones were a bit better but still a bit big and one certainly did not put the player in his/her pocket. Since I left the music seen all those years ago a transition was made to CDs then to MP3s, So there is a bit of techno shock when I returned to the music seen a few months ago. These little things are really tiny compared to those tape decks I used to wear and the sound, amazing.

Ahh your still a youngin mate. ;) I remember 8Track tapes. The Mono sound they delivered. the huge cartridge that they were. The mammoth players they had. Then i remember the conversion to LP's. The 78's and 45's. Cassette and CD and now MP3 players. Yeah. It has been a long journey.

I do recall an 8 track tape. My uncle took me for a ride in his new car and handed me this huge tape and claimed it to be the wave of the future. The sound from those things were terrible, never really liekd them much. Don't recall anything before the 8 track though, I am not old enough to recall anything before that.

8 Track was the first thing i remember in audio. Mono sound. My how bad those things were. :laughing:

Man how far things have come from the eaarly days of Laser Disks and 8 Track tapes, they had terrible music quality and were really huge I remember throwing Laser Disks around my pop's front yard they used to be able to fly for quite some distance and had terrible quality and just try to take a Laser Disk to school with you. You want to take an 8 track to school with you, in your dreams and who would want to with the quality that they had. Then there were records which were even worse, worse quality and you could bring an LP to school, but why you would be really nervous over the thing that someone would accidently scratch the disk then it would be useless. Quality was for the birds.

I do not think that I can recall someone walking down the street with earphones on until the cassset decks came into general use and even then that was a bit of a stretch since they were so heave your pants would have to be nailed to your hips to support the casset deck. In the early years the things were referred to as casset decks rather than casset players or walkman. That was a term applied a bit latter, the walkman was and still is trade name.

These days I see kids walkiing down the street with headsets from an MP3 player and I try to imagine myself doing that in my earlier ears and I would have to have been nuts to attempt something like that, getting an LP player on my belt, right. Even if I could I right the sound quality was so terrible why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom