music downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.
calc, you have some good points, but as apok said, you can convert it to mp3. agreed mp4 is the future for music. also, just to get back on topic, isn't Napster still not only up and running, but authorized to deal with the music/video's on their site? Agreed also with download.com. you can't beat free

Quality wise, yeah, m4a owns. Cool for you.

But honestly, what (non-iPod) device actually plays it. It's not a common format. MP3 plays on downright EVERYTHING, that's why I stick with it. No problems with things not playing it. MP3's at 320kbps or greater are great quality, at least for normal listening. I don't own an iPod, so yeah, I don't want to switch to Apple's new format (Apple brought m4a into popularity, before iTunes, MP3 and WMA were the big things).

everybody think that it's new but m4a (aac) was out before mp3 and wma. aac is based off of sony atrac which was their compression method for mini discs (remember them?). it just didn't catch on at first because it was a mac thing.

I use my ipod in my car that has a high end system so I ripped all of my cds at 400 kbps aac with dbpower amp

everybody think that it's new but m4a (aac) was out before mp3 and wma. aac is based off of sony atrac which was their compression method for mini discs (remember them?). it just didn't catch on at first because it was a mac thing.

I use my ipod in my car that has a high end system so I ripped all of my cds at 400 kbps aac with dbpower amp

First of all , yes Eric I remember MD's and I still have my MD player and discs. What a great media it was !

What are the best ripping options for CD's that isn't flac lol. Can't have a thousand CD's in flac...

I just use CDex to rip my own MP3's at 320, sound great to me, but if fussy audiophile, you'll likely hate them?

Get CDex at:
SourceForge.net: Files
It can rip some other formats besides MP3.

Oh yeah, CDex is free and uses the CD Internet Database to grab all the tag info, also free.
I use the LAME MP3 encoder, it's very good.

My car stereo also handles MP3s 8) Self installed that too.

Alright , I use dBpoweramp as suggested by Eric.

Eric do you know what settings are the best ?

Thanks in advanced.

400 kbps Variable bit rate which analyzes each part rather than guessing the best part (constant bit rate). pick nero m4a for the best compatibility with media players

if you pick the other aac options, choose Force LC AAC for compatibility.

HE AAC and HE V2 are used to get small files that are specifically designed to sound well at low bitrates. For the best quality and compatability, stick with LC AAC. HE AAC and HE v2 are not compatible with the iPod.

I'm looking for a site that we can download music from, legally, preferably free or with a low yearly membership fee. We listen to newer county, rock and christian music.

Also what is the criteria on burning onto multiple devices and CD's? If I remember right there is often restrictions on the number of devices you can store/use the music on, is there always that restriction?

ANY info is appriciated, I have not downloaded music since the original Kazza.

Thanks in advance

free and legal? nothing not free. iTunes from apple it's a good website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom