Multiple DivX/Avi files to DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafydd_brown

Baseband Member
Hi,
I've been using Fairuse to back-up my DVDs and would like to burn these DivX files onto a blank DVD for watching on a DVD player. I've read various posts on the subject and was looking at AVI2DVD and wondered what the consensus might be.

I was wondering if it will be able to read DivX files as well as AVI files as the name of the program suggests that's where its compatibility lies.

I bought this DVD drive quite some time ago and have burned plenty of DVD-data discs but have only just thought about burning a DVD playable on a standalone player. I wrongly assumed that it would be as easy as making a VCD with Nero!

Would anyone (other than Nero shareholders) suggest buying a newer version of Nero or one that is capable of burning DVD's from Avi/DivX files (if that exists)? I know It's probably not necessary but I have found using Nero easy in the past and wondered if it was even capable of doing what I wanted.

What's bothering me about some of the DVD authoring programs out there is weirdness about soundtrack encoding and ripping separate mp3 files and then 'muxing' (whatever the **** that means).

I'll stop rambling now...

a program called nero vision/nero vision express which is part of certain versions of nero 6 and 7 and possibly earlier versions can be used to put avi files to dvd format. I'm no expert at the quality of it's encoding so i will let another forum member answer that 1.

Ive had bad experiances with nero, it doesnt like to accept the file, Ive tried to install codecs, but it still doesnt like them.

Give it a shot, let us knwo what happens. Worst case is you'll have another coaster.

nero 7 (nerovision) recognize divx, xvid and avi. it isn't the best encoder in the world, but most xvid and divx aren't that high quality to begin with, so the quality will llok the same.

For conver avi to dvd,you can try winavi
And i think the v7.6 of it can help you more.It has fast speed and batch converter,can save much time.At first you must install the codec for avi file.

I've done so much research on this topic and all I've got out of it is a large pile of confused.

There are so many guides suggesting one or more methods of converting .avi files into something you can then make readable on DVD. I think I'm having trouble with some of the terminology and although I've looked at guides on these as well I'm none the wiser.

I'm pretty sure that the end result I'm after is a previously blank DVD with Video_TS and Audio_TS folders and then various files inside the Video_TS folder. To burn this onto a DVD I think I can use a number of programmes I have including Nero 6, Img Burn and maybe even DVD decrypter.

Before I get to that stage though, there seems to be at least one more thing I need to do in order to get the .avi files ready. In this particular case I have individual episodes not parts of a film and there doesn't seem to be a guide to help with this. The only reference I've seen to multiple .avi files is in the case of having one or more parts of a film and then joining them together... which I don't want to do.

I've found a programme called DVD2VCD which, according to certain guides, seems able to convert .avi files into MPEG-2 files. I don't even know if this is a necessary step.

Lots of guides recommend using three or more programs and this seems insane. I'm not willing to spend money on a programme unless I know that it's going to be able to what I want and I'm not sure I want to spend £40 anyway. There must be an easier way to all of this!

How do I get from:

Multiple avi files of individual episodes.

to

Video_TS and Audio_TS folders (either on my hard drive ready for burning or physically on a DVD). With a simple menu allowing for independent viewing of individual episodes.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Okay... I'm donwloading a trial version of WinAvi. If it can convert multiple avi files and produce a DVD watchable on a player with some way of choosing which episode to watch then I think I'll be happy.

It's only $29.95 and that'll convert quite nicely in UK pounds given the exchange rates at the moment!

Thanks for your help guys, I may well be back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom