movie file not supported.... could someone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piano0011

Baseband Member
Hey! I just downloaded a movie and it contain so many file!!!! about 10! I thought it should have at least 2 files for avi or mpeg format but these files look weird. When I tried to burn them and to convert them into avi, it just won't support it. Please give me some idea as to what kind of file it maybe..... thanks!

I will attach a file so that you know what I am talking about!

cheers!

I am not sure...... I know all the other format such as avi but these files end with with numbers!! like .001; .002; It is meant to be a movie file but apparently someone has created a number of files to be linked up in some way.... Any ideas? Thanks!

Re:

Hello,

Ah...never mind :p ...I have a feeling these files are just chunks of the original video file. Well, if it is a video file. There's no telling what the original file is without joining the files againing (that is, if the files are split chunks).

Anyway to the point, looked on google...this might illustrate it better http://www.kwerkx.com/rd/products/FileJoin.html.

If it is split data chunks then you'll probably need to find an appropriate program to join them together again.

piano0011 said:
I am not sure...... I know all the other format such as avi but these files end with with numbers!! like .001; .002; It is meant to be a movie file but apparently someone has created a number of files to be linked up in some way.... Any ideas? Thanks!

its a rar file, use winrar to put the chunks back together into an avi or mpg

rar is a compression format but it can be used to split files into parts, its common practice in the torrent scene these days, and its a redundant and stupid step really, torrent files get hashed and split into chunks anyway

thanks....

thanks you guys! Winrar did the job in putting all of these files together... Just another question, what if I want to divide a movie file? Do I use winrar to compress? Will this method give me chunk files?

Thanks!!!!

if you tell it to yes, but like I said for torrent purposes its a stupid and redundant step, making a torrent file splits it into chunks by default

dont know who started it, but its a dumb idea

reply to above question

Just another question, by splitting up a movie files into chunks, does this save space when you back it up? I know that when I tried to back up a ziped avi file, it is still big! Just need one CD for one file! What is the best way to back up a movie file so u can have space for other movie files? Thanks

p.s. Thanks for your help so far guys! Really appreciate it!

CHEERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom