MIDI playback missing instruments or dying sound card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
I tried Zelda Classic (for the third time, lol) on my Compaq (a rather old comp from around 1996), and the MIDI music was very distorted. Half of the intruments made a high pitch whistling noise (though still staying in tune) while the other half (mostly bass instruments) sounded fine. I've had this problem before on my laptop but never had any inspiration to fix it.

I do think the sound card is going out (sound gets choppy and muffled when up more than halfway using Windows volume control), and I was wondering if this could be the problem with the MIDI too?

I've got very little experience with MIDI but it sounds to me like there are missing instruments, which are being replaced with the whistling noise... Is it possible to get new software that will work or something without getting a new sound card? I know this old thing has onboard sound, and it only has two PCI slots, and it seems kind of a waste to get a new sound card for this thing.

Things that I know that might be important:
->sound is onboard
->it's an old, crappy motherboard that's part of a Compaq setup
->tried looking things up in System Information but nothing showed up, in ANY of the categories...
->regular audio plays fine until you raise volume up past half (not the speakers, they're fine, I checked)

This might be a hardware problem, but I don't know. I swear I've seen other computers that have some sort of MIDI-synthesizer software or whatever that you can choose from when doing MIDI playback.

This branch of the forum seems to be populated by many unanswered questions, so any replies are welcome!

NOTE: I have tried installing the latest audio drivers from support.hp.com but it doesn't seem to have helped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom