Microphone for Soundblaster Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

H.Krinkle

Beta member
Hello,
I bought a pc with a sound blaster card a couple of months ago.
I tried to record sound but it is disapointingly quiet.
I've downloaded the latest drivers and I was using a Rode videomic.(9v, condenser).

So maybe its the type of microphone.

I sent this to the Creative Technical Support.

" ... Rode videomic too quiet so I went on a forum and someone suggested that soundblaster cards need to be used with a cheap pc mike because they have a higher output.It was going to buy a SONY ECM-DS70P until I just read on the forum that a user found the results were also too quiet. There seems to be a lot of confusion as to which microphone to use with a Soundblaster. Should I use an electret or dynamic microphone ? Does the card supply phantom power? "

I received the reply.
"You may use any microphone as long as it would not require power. I believe our sound cards do not supply phantom power and will only require the microphone to be directly connected to the analog microphonejack."

I'm still a bit confused.
Has anyone simply bought a cheap microphone and used it with a soundblaster and found the recordings to be acceptably loud?
Thankyou .

H.Krinkle.

You cannot use a condenser mic directly with a soudblaster card... you are not getting the +48v, which is why its too quiet.

You need to have either a mixer or a power supply that will give you the +48v (phantom power)

Buy a cheap $10 mic and try it out.

I bought some cheap mic, like $25 bucks I think, a logitech. I use it for teamspeak and it works just fine. Vista32, Soundblaster PCI Express Extreme audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom