Messed up sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxicity_27

The Angriest of Amoebas
The sound on my computer (HP Pavilion 8870) doesn't work anymore. All of the drivers for the sound are updated and all the best ones are running, but still no sound. I'm running Windows ME, and when I go to Control Panel->Sounds and Multimedia, the volume bar is grayed out. When I go to accessories, and click on Volume Control, nothing happens. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Also, I don't know if I have a sound card, or if it's on the motherboard. A while back an error message came up where it said no sound card was detected, so if that helps at all.. Also, my computer is about 4 years old. I know it's old, but I can't afford to get a new one.

I checked this morning, and I don't have a sound card, the sound is being run off of the mother board. Maybe that'll help anyone that wants to help..

hmm tricky, is there a seperate volume control panel other than the windows one? or are there some drivers for the sound conflicting?

In the control panel go to the Audio Tab in the sounds and multimedia bit....There should be three bit, one of which says "sound playback" - What does this say? or is it too greyed out?

I have 4 choices, 2 of which are the same; Game Compatible Device (x2), Voice Modem Wave #01 Line, and Voice Modem Wave #00 Line.

hmmm im running XP and that isnt what i expected.... Have you treid all four options, and more to the point is the result of the four different options any different from one another?

Yes, I've tried all four, and no none of them are different. I try to do a Voice Test, and it says that no devices are found, you will not be able to use voice chat. Which basically means I can't hear or say anything on my computer.

ARGH I hate admitting defeat... :p Any luck yet? lol

no? oh well hope reigns supreme!

OK if you are using on-board sound do you know what model your MOBO is? It should be printed on the board somewhere.. let me know and i will have a look at what it should need for you...

Alright, I'll check that when I have time today, and tell you, but I'm not sure if it is printed on there. I don't think I saw anything last time I checked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom