making a dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariposa

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,

I recently came up with thenice Idea to burn all my avi's, mpg's, asf's, wmv and vob's on a dvd that I can play in my dvd player. That nice idea has become incredably time consuming because I cant figure out how to do that. Does anyone have some not too difficult suggestions for me? I would be ever so gratefull.

Mariposa

http://www.videohelp.com/tools

try guiffmpeg or tmpgenc or many of the other various tools to re-encode video to mpeg2

you will also in most cases also need to take the resulting mpeg2 video file and use a dvd authoring tool to create the dvd image so it can be burned.......try dvdstyler or dvdauthorgui

later versions of nero can also do this, however its not nearly as flexible as some of the other tools.......quailty can vary greatly from one program to the next, not all mpeg encoders do a good job

this is one area where windows isnt all that great, its still playing catchup, but software thats free does exist that does work

Normally I am always the one who is playing catch up..
Thank you very much for your help, I will try it out and let you know how it went.

check out the how-to guides at videohelp.com, most of the software there has guides for usage as well

it isnt terribly hard, but figuring out why and how something doesnt work right takes some knowledge........you can do a variety of things with dvd's, they are kinda complex sometimes

stay with name brand dvd's too, ive had problems with generics sometimes

do not put labels on a DVD, magic marker is ok, labels can and will make a dvd unplayable in many players

mariposa said:
Hi everyone,

I recently came up with thenice Idea to burn all my avi's, mpg's, asf's, wmv and vob's on a dvd that I can play in my dvd player. That nice idea has become incredably time consuming because I cant figure out how to do that. Does anyone have some not too difficult suggestions for me? I would be ever so gratefull.

Mariposa

First of all you won't be able to play avi's in your home dvd player unless it's divx compatible,Second there isn't a home player on the market that can play asf's or wmv's :( But if this is to watch on your computer it should reconize all the differen't format's the way they are no problem's :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom