Makeshift 5.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infiltrator7

Daemon Poster
Basically my setup right now is a 2.1 system hooked into my computer as the front speakers, and my stereo system hooked up as the rear speakers. I'm getting a x-fi platinum next week probably, and I want to know if it would be possible to hook in a speaker as the center channel, and use my stereo and 2.1 system to create a 5.1 setup. Would this be true surround sound (the stereo would be off of a mini-jack)? Thanks

I do a quad setup like you do with my Soundblaster 24 bit card. (or did, at least). From what I see on pictures of the x-fi and judging on my soundblaster card there isn't a line out for a center channel. I'd recommend buying a speaker system with a digital decoder, (or just a digital decoder with the required line outs for your speakers). This would also prove more efficient over your current setup IMO.

Sorry that I don't know much more, but I hope this helps you foward at least a little.

Thanks for your reply. I did a google search and couldn't find any single digital decoders, everything that came up was either a DVD player or a full fledged speaker system. I'm not going to buy a new speaker system because I have my stereo, so is it possible to buy a digital decoder with lines out like you said for under $100 or so?

*edit*: Just found out that the X-Fi platinum DOES have a center out channel, so I think I'll just buy a separate center speaker and use my 2.1 system for the front, and my stereo for the back.

Aha, well whadda you know? Must have been bad pictures. Have fun with your X-Fi :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom