Looking for Recommendation - 5.1 PC Speakers

Octadel

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I want to buy a set of speakers to connect to my PC to watch movies and listen to music. A 5.1 surround system to instal in a 20 m2 room. Can have AV receiver separated, if its worth it. Subwoofer is also important.
I am a picky audiophile, but I am limited to 400€. Whats the best system I can get with this? My computer is a Clevo w840-su, but i will later connect the system to a proper Media Center.
Ipod connection would be a nice plus but not mandatory.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

What type of music? There is a huge difference if your looking to "rock the house" vs smooth jazz, etc . Also are you planning on the speakers to run directly form the PC or are you running a HDMI from PC to a receiver and then to speakers? You said = "if it is worth it" . Well- there is no way a good PC speaker can perform like a good speaker out of a good receiver- So that is your first decision. If you're a audiophile then you may be happier with a very good set of headphones instead. I am not sure what the 400E can buy in Portugal - but you are not comparing apples to apples if you comparing speakers directly from the PC vs a good surround/Dolby set-up with a good receiver. But- if you have a high end headphone with a headphone amp - music can sound very, very good out of a PC.

I'm not a snobby audiophile, but I do like an eclectic type of music. I am still using the logitech Z680, 5.1 setup from circa 2007/8 and it still sounds great. But personally, I would suggest these:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z906

I know a couple of people who own these, and love them. I've played around with the settings and it can be tweaked for any type of music or game. But this is just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I'm not a snobby audiophile, but I do like an eclectic type of music. I am still using the logitech Z680, 5.1 setup from circa 2007/8 and it still sound great. But personally, I would suggest these:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z906

I know a couple of people who owns these, and love them. I've played around with the settings and it can be tweaked for any type of music or game. But this is just my 2 cents.

I'm still rocking my z5500's :D.

Thank you for all the replies so far.
1. I don't have a good DAC. Should I get one?
2. Type of music: a bit of everything, but most of the time I am (exigently) listening to rock, alternative rock, electronic and house.
3. I have considered the separate AV, and although I was hesitant, i have decided I will go with it.
4. Is HDMI best than the jack to connect to AV? Can i get the surround out of my pc with the jack?
5. Headphones is out of question, thank you.
6. I have considered the Z906 and z-5500 but I heard there is better out there. Also, I am going for the separate AV.

Thank you again for all your replies and I hope you can make suggestions based on these clarifications!

Unless you plan on using the optical port on your onboard audio with a digital speaker system (Like Z5500 or high end A/V receiver) then you will need a DAC. Either that or your cash will be pretty wasted much like buying a sound card with a cheap audio setup or high end cans with a cheap audio solution. You need the whole package for it to be effective.

I have no optical output from my PC (check my PC) so I will need a DAC to take the most of any system right? Be it with av or not. What model do you suggest? Does it connect by USB?

Back
Top Bottom