Looking for a home theater subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bose sub on my 5.1 system is freaking LOUD. Picked up the whole set for 350 :) But it was used. Just go to one of the home theatre stores around you and check em all out and pick the one you like. When i was looking, you could pick up a decent sub for around 150-200.

me and crysalis need to make a thread "what makes good sound?"

what makes a good sub?

I know that you are interested in good sound because you asked instead just going out and buying one.that's the big mistake that most people make

A good sub should

1. go deep
2. be relatively flat down to 25 hertz.
3. have a box qtc of .5 to .7
4. have a group delay of leess then 5 millesecond

somebody here once said that everything sounded the same and any differences in sound were in your head. Bull Ship.

what you get when you buy subs today.

1.a boomy, resonant sound. this is an inaccurate sound. but since it's so cheap to do as you just build a box and stick a speaker into it, they why you see these everywhere. the fact that so many americans like this makes matter worse. A 40 hz pure tone should not sound like a cannon going off

2. a box qtc of 1.0 to 1.5. I will post graphs later to explain what this means

3. group delay up 50 milliseconds. this will drag and distort a pure tune.

4.boxes made out of all things these days, plastic, glass and plexiglass. everybody know that you need materials that's dead to sound (mdf, birchwood, etc), not BS that adds to and colors the sound

american sucks at listening to music. they always had but since 2000 everything got worse. the music, the economy and the manufactures. the new trick is too make BS and over market it. it obviously works because joe's off the street now claim to have "golden ears"

will finish later

P.S. BOSE will never ever sound great. a lot of people swear by them. they don't know any better. the marketers got to them

Bose is overpriced, but doesnt sound too bad. I only bought my bose system because i got it for roughly half price.

Bose is overpriced, but doesnt sound too bad. I only bought my bose system because i got it for roughly half price.

Bose don't care about accurate sound. They use psychoacoustic special effects and boom to wow people who know little about sound.

Here is a qtc graph. A box with a qtc of 1.5 will boom with little power. It will be loud. That's all most Americans care about. It won't be accurate, it won't play deep and it will sound nothing like the original note that it's trying to reproduce.

thiele-smallgraph.gif

A box with a qtc of .5 has lots of drawbacks. For one it is inefficient, meaning that you will need a lot of power to power it. The bass will be a little weak compared to an enclosure with a higher Qtc to a person who knows little about sound. It also requires a large box.

However this is the most accurate, purist and deepest bass. The general rule to bass is "the bigger the box, the better the bass". Whenever, you go to true audiophile's house, you will notice his humongous box and gigantic amp for his sub. Then when you hear it, you will realize that never heard bass so amazing and heartwarming. This is the leanest sounding bass (pure).

Nobody will design this kind of sub box and sell it, because it just isn't feasible to market it. Most people will prefer the little inaccurate box in the corner. Audiophiles will build their own home subwoofer box or pay somebody to do it

The best companies will compromise for a box qtc of .0707. This require a nice size but not too large of a box and a moderate size amp. This gives you the flattest response too. They will usually add equalization to the speaker if the box is sealed. This is the most practical way to get 20 hertz in a house setup

The better companies will settle for a box qtc of 1. They will give a little boom and a little accuracy in a little box and a decent amp.

But most will go for the qtc of 1.5. No accuracy, lot of booms very little power. you have to spend money to get truly accurate bass. that's how speaker work really. the more you spend the better the sound that you get.

They will also put these speakers in a square box (a taboo to box builders) to give them even more boom because a square box enhances standing waves

Here's a nice place for subs

Subwoofers Reviews at AudioReview.com

standing waves

:eek: WHERE?! ZOMG get me AWAY from them! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!! :eek:

:happy:

Nice write up Eric. I'll help you out with a thread... steal some stuff from ToV's stickies that I made.

EDIT: You forgot efficiency!! Dude... how could you? SPL,dB FTW!

I went to that site you recommended and looked at quite a few subs there are still SO many. I'm not sure how to really narrow it down. Any specific brands that I should look into for my price range that should be a true good quality sub?

you can really go wrong. they don't post bargain joe stuff there. acoustic research is a good name. read the reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom