Looking for cheap sound card and headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Kaizer

Daemon Poster
I was just wondering if there are any decent sound cards for like 50 bucks or less, and if there's a nice set of headphones for the same price range, that would be nice as well.

So basically, looking for sound card + headphones for 100 bucks or less (total).

For sound cards retail or oem Creative 7.1 models can be $49.99 or less at Newegg.com - $25 - $50, Creative Labs, Sound Cards, Sound Cards & MIDI Devices

The X-Fi Extreme Audio model 7.1 card is seen for $49.99 there.

For the rather small selection of wired head phones most include a microphone as well. It depends on whether you want mini plug, usb, or the mini jack/usb combination type of headsets. For the standard 3.5mm mini plug Koss usually passes the rest by while this model includes a mic. Newegg.com - KOSS SB45 3.5mm Circumaural Multi-Media Stereophone

Have you tried using what is on your system? (onboard) IMO sound cards are a waste of money.

I'll take a separate card any day of the week over onboard for the most while some improvements have been seen there depending on who makes the chip. Besides you won't hear EAX type effects with onboard for the most part being a Creative item there often seen in gaming.

Have you tried using what is on your system? (onboard) IMO sound cards are a waste of money.

That's what I've been using, but I find the onboard sound just a bit lacking. I play several instruments, so I have a pretty good idea of what something should sound like, and onboard isn't fulfilling for me anymore - lack of bass, lack of clarity, fuzzy sound.

I've run the Xtreme Audio as well as the Xtreme Gamer now in use for a large variety of applications. With a good set of speakers or the headphones you decide on you'll prefer that over the onboard you are using now.

The X-Fi series sees Vista support readily available and they even toss in a second software disk for Vista for the Audio and Gamer models. The Xtreme Audio is seen at Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom