Looking for best quality headphones I can find on a 60 dollar budget.

TaskTool

In Runtime
I know relatively little about sound quality or audio equipment. I just need to be directed to the best quality headphones I can get at around $60. Due to the fact that I live with people, I don't have the luxury of being able to blast music through speakers as of yet.

Just so you can get an understanding of the quality of sound I am adjusted to right now:

I'm using a pair of 9 dollar logitech 2.1 satellite speakers with some ipod earphones plugged into the headphone jack.

At this point is it safe to say even budget headphones around the 60 dollar price range would be a massive step above what I'm currently using? lol

Anyway I've been looking at the Sony XB series headphones, but I was mainly interested in the XB 700 which is outside of my budget. I've heard of brands like Sennheiser, Audio Technica, etc.

And I've also heard Dre Beats are overpriced garbage headphones, not that I could afford them anyway.

My integrated soundcard apparently is 5.1 audio, whatever that means so I assume I WONT need to find me another sound card for budget headphones at least?

This is probably one of my better talents of technology. Headphones. I have gone through plenty of skullcandy headphones, all lasting me under a year (buds not over ears) but when they are working they are fantastic headphones for cheap. (15-60) Now if you're looking for some over-ears, it's going to be a bit hard to find some that are great sound quality and durable. Right now I own the Bose Quiet-Comfort 3's which are out of your price range but I love them. You are 100% correct on the Dre's because they are cheap pieces of plastic with bass. Sennheiser is definitely a brand to look into because they are cheap. A good friend of mine purchased Amazon.com: Philips O'Neill SHO9560/28 Over-Ear Headphones - Black Bordeaux: Electronics and they are extremely durable and the sound is actually pretty good. I have bent those to the point where they are about 160 degrees. Looking around amazon is also a good way to find headphones, and before you research about them through other places, look at the customer reviews, they have really helped me choose products on Amazon. Hopefully this helps!
Thought I would edit in a list I found for some headphones
The above link already :)
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB50...24S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338512897&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Open-Aire-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B001RNO92Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.amazon.com/Bose-327279-0...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338513158&sr=1-2
If you can get your hands on those bose, you won't regret it. I don't own those but many of my friends do and they love them. If you don't like any of those keep looking until you find one!

This is probably one of my better talents of technology. Headphones. I have gone through plenty of skullcandy headphones, all lasting me under a year (buds not over ears) but when they are working they are fantastic headphones for cheap. (15-60) Now if you're looking for some over-ears, it's going to be a bit hard to find some that are great sound quality and durable. Right now I own the Bose Quiet-Comfort 3's which are out of your price range but I love them. You are 100% correct on the Dre's because they are cheap pieces of plastic with bass. Sennheiser is definitely a brand to look into because they are cheap. A good friend of mine purchased Amazon.com: Philips O'Neill SHO9560/28 Over-Ear Headphones - Black Bordeaux: Electronics and they are extremely durable and the sound is actually pretty good. I have bent those to the point where they are about 160 degrees. Looking around amazon is also a good way to find headphones, and before you research about them through other places, look at the customer reviews, they have really helped me choose products on Amazon. Hopefully this helps!
Thought I would edit in a list I found for some headphones
The above link already :)
Amazon.com: Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones: Electronics
Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD 238 Open Aire Stereo Headphones - Old Version: Electronics
http://www.amazon.com/Bose-327279-0...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338513158&sr=1-2
If you can get your hands on those bose, you won't regret it. I don't own those but many of my friends do and they love them. If you don't like any of those keep looking until you find one!

No offence, but even suggesting Skull Candy or Bose are good discredits any great knowledge you may think you have. They make very poor headphones, especially Skull Candy. They are overpriced too.

Sennheiser do make very good headphones, and a few of Sony's models are fairly good too - but not many.

The best advice I can give is to save up for HD 280's. They are not a whole lot more than $60 but sound much better than most of what you will get for your budget. If not, I guess that XB500's are okay.

Sennheiser, Audio Technica, AKG, Grado, Denon are all safe bets. Though be a careful with Sennheiser and Denon, as they do some really cheap stuff which isn't so great. There high end $100+ stuff is usually of atleast a good standard.

Skullcandy, like I said will not last. I don't understand where you are coming from on Bose.

I have a decent Koss headset. Works great for gaming. I think mine runs about $30, but they make better sets as well.

For a budget headphones, I would go for Sennheiser HD202 II. Its only $19.98 and it is not bad at all.

I have these (from this store btw) Audio-Technica ATH-D40 | Sweetwater.com and I love them! They are my first really nice pair of headphones and I am no audio expert but they sound great to me! They block a good amount of outside sound but not all.

I got mine for around $45 because they were on sale and my Grandpa knows the people & has a discount at the store so he got them even cheaper. :)

I just ordered the Sony XB 500's. I know they aren't going to be the greatest headphones and I don't expect them to be. But hopefully they will be at least decent for what I paid. $50 on Amazon. For some reason they were over 10 dollars more expensive on newegg and everywhere else. I had been looking at the XB's for quite a while, and I'm not going to lie, it was mainly because of how comfortable they look, and the "Extra Bass" label. But after a few of you mentioned the XB's it pretty much sealed the deal. I'll let you know what I think of them when they arrive. Thanks.

Also, does anyone know the difference between 40mm drivers vs 50mm drivers?

Back
Top Bottom