Looking for an amp/mini-amp!

Abstract Hero

Hyper Techie
I want to upgrade my rig a bit and get a good audio setup for when I get a new desk. Currently I have a re-purposed home stereo (Sony LBT-LX50) with great speakers but the amp/receiver/tower is much too big. I was looking to find a decent desktop amp that could replace it and still give me the oomph the speakers have now.

• Would have to be relatively small. Nothing crazy, just a mini amp preferably or something that my monitor can be set on and look okay and not out of place.
  • The speakers are rated at 140watts so it must power them.
  • Sub $100 (or even $75 if possible)
  • Has a headphone jack.

Alternatively, if someone can find me a good set of PC speakers that would make me just as happy.

Last edited:
You stated "The speakers are rated at 140watts so it must power them." When a speaker is rated at 140 watts, that refers to the max wattage they can handle not the amount needed to power them. Technically, you need to know the efficiency of the speakers in order to know whether or not an amp can power them.

Regardless, here's a link to a page on Amazon of some amps that might fit the bill: Amazon.com: stereo mini power amplifier: Electronics. I've never used any of them so can't vouch for them.

My apologies, I'm not terrribly good with sound equipment, I know a pretty bare minimum.

Here's a quote directly off the spec PDF: "With 6ohms load, both channels driven, from 120-10,000hz; rated 140watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 10% harmonics distortion."

"accepts impedance of 6-16 ohms"

That's probably not answering the question so....

Here's the specs and manual: LBT-LX50

Page 49 for specifications.

And I looked around on that before, this one stuck out but only if it cuts it. Pyle Home PCA4 Mini 2x120 Watt Stereo Power Amplifier

Have you ever thought about going with a nice set of cans and a headphone amp ?

You can get a pretty nice sounding little system for a couple of hundred dollars.

To get a really nice set of pc speakers, you really need to get some nice bookshelf speakers and they are fairly expensive and imo they wont match the sound of some nice cans and headphone amp, unless you dump a lot of cash.

Last edited:
Have you ever thought about going with a nice set of cans and a headphone amp ?

You can get a pretty nice sounding little system for a couple of hundred dollars.

To get a really nice set of pc speakers, you really need to get some nice bookshelf speakers and they are fairly expensive and imo they wont match the sound of some nice cans and headphone amp, unless you dump a lot of cash.

I have a decent pair of headphones right now, HD 280 Pro... so if I traveled down that route, is there really a noticeable difference between the standard output jack on my PC and an amp?

Really, the more I think about it, I really would rather spend more for decent studio monitors and amp but obviously I can't afford that and I have much better things to spend that kind of cash on so let's take your route, Whirlwind.
What do you recommend?

I am not to sure if the HD 280 Pro would benefit from being amped or not.

I am not too familiar with those.

As far as a headphone amp...something like this should do you good.

JDS Labs - Objective2 Headphone Amplifier

If you get a nice amp, you can always upgrade your headphones later on, if you think you need too.

If you don't listen to much music, then it is really not worth it...but if you do, then it is well worth it.

Do you have a soundcard or do you use onboard?

Do your headphones sound better than your speakers now ?

Well, after doing a little research on your headphone, it does not sound like they will benefit very much from an amp.

So, I guess you are back to square one.

Last edited:
I am not to sure if the HD 280 Pro would benefit from being amped or not.

I am not too familiar with those.

As far as a headphone amp...something like this should do you good.

JDS Labs - Objective2 Headphone Amplifier

If you get a nice amp, you can always upgrade your headphones later on, if you think you need too.

If you don't listen to much music, then it is really not worth it...but if you do, then it is well worth it.

Do you have a soundcard or do you use onboard?

Do your headphones sound better than your speakers now ?

Well, after doing a little research on your headphone, it does not sound like they will benefit very much from an amp.

So, I guess you are back to square one.

I use onboard and the headphones are likely a good bit better. I listen to music and game but... I don't know. Maybe I should just wait and when I move to my permanent desk I'll just go with the headphones and see how I feel.

I think this thread has more just helped me realize I'm not sure what I want and I should wait.

Yea....hate to see you spend more money than you need too.

You could just snag a soundcard with a built in headphone amp.....can get one pretty cheap and see how that does for you....you should see a nice bump in sound, I would think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom