Limewire and malicious programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeleryGoblin

Baseband Member
I'm thinking about downloading Limewire, and have a question.

I've heard horror stories of people downloading things off of Limewire and having the contents of their computer obliterated. My question is, can you get things that would harm your computer from just downloading music and video, or do they only come with programs?

:)

Dont get limewire. When you install it spyware/adaware is installed whcih which can cause many hassels. As far as i know i dont think you cant get virus's from mp3 files but other audio files i think you can and video files you can. So its probably a good idea to virus scan any videos you donwload. A safe alternative to Limewire is Emule.
http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1
When i mean safer i meanharmul as they could be carrying viruses etc. Hope that helps, just ask if you need more help. BTW emule doesnt dl all that fast and you will need to configure it to optimize it. Ask if you want help with that. Also bittorent is a good program for large files such as videos, games etc.

P.S lol i love the sig.

Limewire does have spyware, but it's nothing major, nor malicious.

As for the files... just be smart with what you download. You CANNOT get viruses from .jpg images, .mpegs, .wav, etc.... most music and video and image files. However if you see somethin that can be extracted- ie, .zip and .exe files.... avoid them. NEVER download anything searched from the "Programs" section! Follow that and you should be golden.

You can get viruses, etc from ANY P2P program. Limewire is safe if you are smart about what you download. Ive downloaded several programs before and havent gotten any malicious programs, spyware, viruses etc. Just make sure you scan each file with an up-to-date anti-virus program and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom