laptop to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the laptop. Most laptops have an S-video output that you can use to connect to your TV's S-video input (if it has one). Some newer laptops have a 7-pin S-video output that also provides Composite or Component video (in addition to S-video) using special adapters that utilize the extra pins in the S-video port. If your laptop doesn't have an S-video port, you'll probably have to use a VGA to composite or component adapter, which can be expensive. If your laptop is new and has HDMI, then you can hook it to HDTV's and get good quality, if your TV has VGA, you can use that too.

hahaha. what??? sory im just a complete noob.anyway thanks. i'll do some research on whatever you've said and will try and figure it out.

cheers

most laptops have a port for S-Video. This is how it looks:

s-video_PC.JPG

You need an adapter cable with S video on one end and TV input (SCART) on the other end. Don't forget to plug in audio cables, too or it gonna be picture there and sound from the lappy only ;)

Depends where you live. Europe (England?) uses SCART, here in America, TV's just have S-Video ports on them (look like the pic above). If your laptop and TV both have that port, get an S-Video cord from your local electronics retailer. Just plug the S-Video cord between your laptop and TV. You should get the laptop screen to come up on the TV. The S-Video cord ONLY CARRIES VIDEO INFORMATION, so you won't get sound out of it. The sound will come out of the laptop's speakers. If this isn't good enough, you can get a 3.5mm Minijack to RCA Stereo cable. It has the standard "headphone plug" on one end (plug into your laptop's headphone port) and the other end will have red and white (or red and black on some cords) connectors to hook the the red and white inputs on the TV.

If your TV has THESE inputs:
composite-jack.jpg

you'll need a S-Video-to-Composite adapter. These plug into the S-Video port on your laptop and have the yellow connector on it. You use a yellow Composite cord to go from PC to TV, and again, it will not have sound if you just use the one cord.

If your TV ONLY HAS THIS:
h75ohmCoaxialJack.jpg

then you need a VCR or other device capable of taking the composite (yellow plug) output or S-Video output of your computer and converting it to a Cable feed to go to your TV (this is the kind of thing where the TV has to be tuned to Channel 3 or 4). Instead of the TV, plug the connection from the PC into the VCR's IN ports and then set the VCR to "Input", "Line", "Game", or whatever it calls the inputs. Tune the TV to channel 3 or 4 until you see the picture.

apple-tv-ports.jpg

If you have the Red, Green, and Blue ports (called "Component" inputs), you'll have to have an S-Video-to-Component adapter. Again, it only carries video, but Component is capable of carrying HD (High Definition) video, so you'll get better quality using Component.

If you have the one labeled HDMI, you'll need either a DVI or HDMI port on your laptop. Only newer laptops tend to have HDMI ports, though some Macs had Mini-DVI ports, which you should be able to adapt to HDMI using a cord. You can get a cord that goes from DVI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI. HDMI DOES CARRY SOUND, so you WILL get sound through the TV with just the HDMI cord, HOWEVER, if you use a DVI output and convert it to HDMI, you WILL NOT GET SOUND because DVI does not output sound (HDMI does). Other than the sound, the two formats are interchangeable.

****, u guys are extremely helpful. thanks a lot for that. i found what i needed. calcprogrammer, i have the second set of options. the red yellow white one. i get what i need. basiclly i'll need a chord that has those red white and yellow pins at one end and the S-video pin on the other. k, i guess i'll find it. thanks for all the help. cheers

lol. i didn't know <snipped> gets censored. anyway, thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom