itunes VBR and smart encoding adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devon8822

Baseband Member
I know roughly what these things do but, i need to know if they are any good. I did a bitt of reasearch and some peopl though they were **** and some thought they are great. I'd like to here a bunch of peoples opinions on these. It seems that these options are better for either a low or high bitrate (cant remember which one). Anyways, Im going to be ripping a 224 kbps, and I need to know if I should use VBR and smart encoding adjustments... what exactly do they do? At what bitrate would they be good for the quality and what bitrate would they be bad?

Also, I noticed on itunes if I choose AAC you cannot use smart encoding adjustments (only with mp3)... is AAC still better?

I hope some people can fill me in on these so I can decide weither or nto to use these options. Thanks!

variable encoding is better the small size files. just use constant at 320 kbps if you want the best mp3 sound. AAC will always be better

why are you bumping it? I just told you the answer. you can't read or something?

For a couple reasons Mr. Grumpy ***. You said Variable encoding is better for small sizes... wtf is variable ncoding? I dont know which one you are talking about VBR or smart encoding adjustments. Secondly whatever you where trying to answer there it was only one of my questions. Thirdly I was looking for several answers, since its a bit of an opinionated subject. Anyways, no need to be a asshat, im just looking for some answer, mybe someone else can give it a go? Or Eric can mybe explain it without mixing the 2 terms into one term? thanks

For a couple reasons Mr. Grumpy ***. You said Variable encoding is better for small sizes... wtf is variable ncoding? I dont know which one you are talking about VBR or smart encoding adjustments. Secondly whatever you where trying to answer there it was only one of my questions. Thirdly I was looking for several answers, since its a bit of an opinionated subject. Anyways, no need to be a asshat, im just looking for some answer, mybe someone else can give it a go? Or Eric can mybe explain it without mixing the 2 terms into one term? thanks

you #*&@*. research it yourself. you are jumping on me just because you are stupid. I answered everything you asked in a very short statement. I can't help it that you are dumb. it's a complex and long explanation (it's really complex for a dummy like you). so I kept it brief. everybody had seen that I answered it. but your but, didn't appreciate it. you could have ask me what I meant, then I would have gave you more info. but you put bump, when your question were already answered.

you ungrateful MF. you won't get any more help from me

Encoding at 320bkps cbr mp3 still keeps the size real small when comparing to its uncompressed original.

Forums are to share knowledge and theories, let's keep attitudes out of it. Simple research on the "definitions" of the terms you are unfamiliar with is the first step. -"and you, the noob, use google and wikipedia" this applies to the definition of VBR and the like but as for the opinions and/or experience on which is better that's what forums are for. Google is what brought me here.

-"and I need to know if I should use VBR and smart encoding adjustments" These are two questions since these are two separate processes and it is true that only one was answered.

-"what exactly do they do?" unanswered but Wikipedia pre-research is encouraged.

-"At what bitrate would they be good for the quality and what bitrate would they be bad?" Again not answered but very confusing the way this was asked.

Eric's answer -"variable encoding is better the small size files" = VBR encoding is best for small files. VBR stands for Variable Bit Rate which is a type of encoding so the statement "Or Eric can mybe explain it without mixing the 2 terms into one term?" is incorrect. These terms were not mixed.

-"you #*&@*. research it yourself. you are jumping on me just because you are stupid. I answered everything you asked in a very short statement" Everything was not answered and Devon's post did not come off as "Jumping" on anyone. If anything -"why are you bumping it? I just told you the answer. you can't read or something?, is jumping on someone.

-"but your but, didn't appreciate it. you could have ask me what I meant, then I would have gave you more info". The questions were not all answered "in a very short statement". If all questions were answered in a short statement, that would be very affective. Alternatively they should be answered completely and concisely with all points covered, even simply touching on points that you don't wish to answer fully is better than not covering it at all. You can even point out Wikipedia, as not everyone knows about it yet.

-"Bump?" One should not take it personally. Asking others for additional input is always encouraged (especially when all points are not covered)

-"i back you up EricB" How? With additional information or expanding on Eric's point would be great.

VBR allows a higher bitrate (and therefore more storage space) to be allocated to the more complex segments of media files while less space is allocated to less complex segments. The average of these rates is calculated to produce an average bitrate for the file that will represent its overall sound quality.
The advantages of VBR are that it produces a better quality-to-space ratio compared to a CBR file of the same size. The bits available are used more flexibly to encode the music more accurately, with fewer bits used in less demanding passages and more bits used in difficult-to-encode passages.
The disadvantages are that it may take more time to encode, as the process is more complex, and that some hardware might not be compatible with VBR files. -(Older hardware only)

Basically, if there is silence less bit rate is used. When the sound is more complex a higher bit rate is used.

Audio in Moodle - MoodleDocs
"Don't Tick "Smart Encoding Adjustments" (this doesn't have any effect unless you have left some settings at 'auto') "

Keyboard Magazine - Dumbed-Down Audio
"I leave “Smart Encoding Adjustments” unchecked; this analyzes your music and changes the settings based on what it thinks is best, and I generally prefer to customize settings. Finally, always check “Filter Frequencies Below 10Hz.” You won't hear them, and they just take up bandwidth."

I couldn't find much info on Smart Encoding. These two don't quote references but they sound valid. What I gather from these; If you change all the setting from auto it doesn't matter if this is checked or not. Although setting Sample Encoding Adjustments, Channels and Stereo Mode to "Auto" should do just that, allow the program to decide what's best for you. Why have a separate check for "Smart Encoding Adjustments" which, according to the above statements, "changes the settings based on what it thinks is best" (i.e. Auto?)

Note on 10 Hz filtering (if you have this option): Unless you are going to play back some rap on a crazy sound system, you can check this. With the advent of mass storage space for cheap, I like to rip my music with preservation in mind so I don't check this. I think it's minimal difference anyway.

Advanced Audio Coding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is a standardized, lossy compression and encoding scheme for digital audio. AAC is considered the successor to the MP3 format by MP3's creator, Fraunhofer IIS.

Depending on the encoder used, AAC generally achieves better sound quality than MP3 at the same bitrate, particularly below 192 kbit/s.[1]

AAC's most famous usage is as the default audio format of Apple's iPod and iTunes and the format used for all iTunes Store audio (with extensions for proprietary Digital Rights Management (DRM) where used).

AAC is also the standard audio format for Sony's PlayStation 3, the MPEG-4 video standard, and several digital radio initiatives (see Digital Radio Mondiale.)

Sounds like good stuff, just make sure your portable device can handle it or your media player can automaticly convert it when syncing.
Keep in mind that you can rip music to your computer with high quality setting but can choose options to down grade when syncing to a portable media player. Sometimes this is also automatic.

Hope this helps…everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom