I need help setting up my audio for computer/xbox/logitech speakers/X-fi sound card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
OK here is the setup. I have the Logitech Z-2300 speakers. I have a X-fi sound blaster card that has the optical in and out. I have a xbox 360. I want my sound to go through my sound card using the optical line. I have it going from the Xbox to the sound card right now but can't get sound thru optical.

I do not see a option in the Volume Panel for the Sound Blaster software I use.

Please help!

Ok I think I found the option but when I click on it I get a loud crackling noise...very odd.

Any help would be great

Re: I need help setting up my audio for computer/xbox/logitech speakers/X-fi sound ca

Ok bump. Here is why. I'm hoping someone with audio and Sound Blaster knowledge can help me with the below.

I found this: Creative Worldwide Support

This is my card: Creative Worldwide Support > PCI Express X-Fi Xtreme Audio

My speakers: Newegg.com - Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System - Speakers

Now I was able to get the sound to work IF I selected Digital Stereo. However I want Dolby Digital to work if possible.

The summary of that first link states some important stuff like:
* It requires an Xbox Advanced/HD AV Pack to connect an Xbox 360 to a Sound Blaster card.
* It also requires an X-Fi drive, I/O Console, Audigy Drive to decode Dolby Digital or DTS signals from game consoles.
* Not all Sound Blaster cards have the S/PDIF-In Decode option.

So I am wondering, in short, is there a way to get my sound card to decode dolby digital?

Thank you

Re: I need help setting up my audio for computer/xbox/logitech speakers/X-fi sound ca

You wont get Dolby digital to work on a 2.1 setup. Dolby Digital must have 5.1 which is what it is intended for. There is no way to force DD onto a 2.1 System cause DD splits the signal to each speaker. So you would actually lose 3 channels. the sound that goes to the rear and the voices since those almost always come out of the center.

So what you want will actually be worse for your setup. The Sound Card doesnt have the required chips to decode DD itself. If you look at the specs of your X-Fi and then the specs of my Audigy 2ZS you will see that my card says that it can decode DD and DTS. Your card can not. So you would have to feed the signal out from your card to a receiver that can decode the sound for you.

Makes sense and the more i messed with this the more I did learn about this. Can you fix the link to your sound card. It's pointing to the Xfi one on both. I'd like to look at your card. Thanks for the help. Rep'd

Creative Worldwide Support

It worked for me just fine. o.0

Just click the Product Information>Tech specs.

Works with the Following Standards
Windows® 98SE, 2000, ME and XP
Supports Windows XP SP2
Sound Blaster MIDI and General MIDI
Plug and Play Sound Blaster PCI
EAX, EAX ADVANCED HD*
THX®
Microsoft® DirectSound®, DirectSound 3D & derivatives
Plug and Play Sound Blaster PCI
OpenALâ„¢
PCI 2.2 compliant
AC97 compliant
Dolby Digital® and Dolby Digital EX
DTS Digital Surround® and DTS-ES Extended Surround™
Meridian Lossless Packing
ASIO 2.0
Dolby Digital® and Dolby Digital EX
SoundFont 2.1
DVD-Audio and Advanced Resolutionâ„¢ DVD-Audio
Windows Media® Audio 9

my bad I was looking at the wrong thing

You wont get Dolby digital to work on a 2.1 setup. Dolby Digital must have 5.1 which is what it is intended for. There is no way to force DD onto a 2.1 System cause DD splits the signal to each speaker. So you would actually lose 3 channels. the sound that goes to the rear and the voices since those almost always come out of the center.

So what you want will actually be worse for your setup. The Sound Card doesnt have the required chips to decode DD itself. If you look at the specs of your X-Fi and then the specs of my Audigy 2ZS you will see that my card says that it can decode DD and DTS. Your card can not. So you would have to feed the signal out from your card to a receiver that can decode the sound for you.

i could said it better myself. asus has a sound card that decodes to Dolby Digital on the fly

i could said it better myself. asus has a sound card that decodes to Dolby Digital on the fly

I think you mean to say "couldn't have said it better myself." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom