HTPC Questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
Ok, so here's my deal. I've got a computer that I'm going to be finishing up building soon that's going to serve as a HTPC as I have a lot of movies and music on it. I also picked up an upconverting DVD player that goes HDMI out. I'm also going to be picking up a receiver (another question in and of itself) and a new TV. I'd like to be able to just run everything to the receiver and just run a single HDMI out to my TV. My price range for a receiver isn't too high, so all of the receivers in my range are just going to have HDMI pass through. Now from what I understand, the HDMI pass through just transmits video, and not audio. So my questions/thoughts are;

1. If I get a dedicated video card with HDMI out, and a HDMI pass through receiver, will I also need a way to get the audio to the receiver, I.E. an optical cable, so then I will need a sound card.

2. If the answer to the first question is that the audio will transmit through the video card via HDMI, then I won't need a sound card to transmit the audio and I'll just need video.

3. What's a good receiver for less than $300. I'll need at least 2 HDMI In and 1 HDMI out, along with connections for a 5.1 setup.

THANKS!!!

1. Yes - you'll need a soundcard that can pass through Dolby on an optical line.

2. No. You need a soundcard.

3. You're gonna have a little bit of a hard time finding a receiver with HDMI pass-thru for that price, especially something worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom