how many watts should i get

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
you know your amp lets say it gives a power output of 2x100, so it gives an output of 100 watts per channel, and your speakers can handle 100 watt max each so thats alrite but what about the sub you buy do you get a sub thats 100w or a sub thats 200w because if you combine both the speakers together you get a power rating of 200w ???!!!

You would want 200W. You are right if you combine them the output is 200W and if you only got 100W well then the most the sub could put out is 50W per channel.

But that is not always the case. Some subs and speaker manufacturer's are different. Soem say 100W but it is actually 100W per channel. You have to read to see if they rate it per channel or overall. If it is overall then that is the total it can output.

Dont go by peak power, go by continuous power handling. Manufacturers use peak power ratings to sell the product...this is true with low end speakers such as pc speakers.

Also, those cheaper 5.1 amps will say 500w, but when you divide it all up, it isnt that much power..especial when impedance (ohms) comes into play.

Higher end, such as studio monitors are rated by the real power handling. My studio monitors are rated for 100watts each, but sound better than 200-300w peak power speakers.

When it comes to amplfiers, better more expensive brands tend to heavily underrate there power output. For example my rotel amp is rated at 65Watt per channel, it actually outputs 140W per channel continously, and has been tested to reach over 400W sustained through 1ohm.

Just because your amplifier for example may be rated at 200W, it does not mean it is outputting 200W. normal listening volumes through fairly efficient speakers will probably mean it's outputting just 20W. But because it has an extra 180W in reserve, it does not struggle at all when you crank up the volume so you get less distortion and clipping.

--

I think Mak understood your question different to me. To me robina is saying if you have two speakers at 100w making 200w, you should get a sub that's rated at 200w ..? not sure. I'll answer it how i think.

Robina, it really depends what type of speakers you have got. Better speakers tend to have a dedicated low frequency driver (woofer) or in the case of monitor speakers a woofer/midrange driver. If your speakers have this, you may not need a sub that's all that powerfull. However to get a clean and powerfull bottom end people do tend to get high wattage subwoofers, you might be happy with something between 150W and 400W. But as i aformentioned i am quite confused with what your asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom