how do you compress a .wmv smaller ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lzyf15

Beta member
hi. how do you compress a .wmv 35.5mb music video to like 10mb if its possible ? i think its possible since i saw a video that has a better quality and a longer video which is like 10mb. lol i duno how :eek: well asking how cause i want to upload it and put it on my site :D thanks thanks :p

umm...i like used the link that yu gave me, i like followed up to the part where you have to press play in GraphEdit, i waited for 3 hours, and like there is only 16 seconds in the .avi that i tried to make...i watied for 3 hours...is there a problem ? lol. just some help please...i followed everything on the site correctly...but like...yeah. don't work and its around 20mb the avi. some help. waited for too long. and also ... um... for WMV -> DivX ;-) it says this:

[ Step 3 ] Delete any filters after (but not including) the Windows Media Audio Decoder filter.

[ Step 4 ] Delete any filters after (but not including) the Windows Media Video Decoder filter

and on my .wmv, it has only the main box for the .wmv, then connected to it is a "WMAudio Decoder DMO" and "WMVideo Decoder DMO"...do i delete everything after that ? thanks...cause i might've done it wrong.

umm are yu sure...lol...well you are a lot more experienced...but like i have a 900mhz computer, 128sdram,etc. and like...how long does it really take ? for a 35.5mb wmv video to .avi...its like taking me 5 horus for only like..14 seconds of the video !!! so i'm not sure if there's somethign wrong or not. and like...when i said i waited for 3 hours...it also had 14 seconds with the same size ? hmm...some help. :p might be some problems with my computer though...sorry. but thanks :D

Hi

MicroBell is right, converting or editing video files can take a LONG time.

Some factors to be aware of are:

The CPU (faster the better, obviously).

Memory, the more you have and the faster it runs the better (128 mb SDRAM is not really sufficient) one hell off a lot of data is going to be processed, and if the data has to be stored in your virtual memory (as opposed to physical memory) it will slow you down even more as you will be constantly writing/reading to the HD.

Your HD. Although the file you are working on is 35mb it will become MUCH larger than this when being worked on.

Also the file may be fragmented across the HD whilst being worked on causing even more slow down.

Combine this with the point above (about memory/virtual memory) you can see that you are basically tieing you HD up in knots as it is trying to do to many things at once. Which is why it can take so long.

Ensure your HD is defragged before doing video work.

You could try using something like ASFTools to convert the file to an avi and then once in avi format use VirtualDub to compress further, but you may well need a crash course in video editing (and is it really worth it on such a small file).

http://www.geocities.com/myasftools/faq.html#General Questions

HTH

DOH!!

Just had a thought, if you have Windows Movie Maker on you pc why not just save it at a lower quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom