How do I use speakers for pc and ipod when off - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Computer Audio and Multimedia
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default How do I use speakers for pc and ipod when off

HI,

Sorry if this is a complete noob question. I have SB LIve 5.1 (yes I know that's a bit old) along with Desktop Cambridge 5.1 Dtt200 speakers (yes I know that's old too). Anyways they both work fine, however I would like to know how to use the speakers to play from my iopd when it is off, while still connected to my pc. The speakers use 3 cables and so they only 2 left open in the back of the SB are one for microphone and the other for a line in. Is there a device or something I can buy? I want to be able to play music from my ipod without turning my computer on.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Systems Engineer

Send a message via AIM to Crysalis

you would have to unplug the speakers from your computer and plug it into your ipod.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

With all due respect, I hope you were kidding. I obviously am aware of that, I wanted to know how to accomplish this, without having to constantly unplug the wires. Is there a device or converter that would enable me to do it that way.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Eagleboy

buy a 1/8" stereo splitter, so that you have two ins for the one cable. You'll add noise to the line and decrease volume a little bit, but it'll work.

Realistically, the best (quality-wise) option is to just unplug the line every time you want to use the iPod.

But for the splitter, go to Radioshack. It'll be under $5 for the gold-plated version. Just be sure to know what you're getting exactly.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Systems Engineer

Send a message via AIM to Crysalis

No i wasn't kidding LOL. You never know sometimes. There are some real idiots that stop by here and ask some DUMB questions... so I replied like that (with all due respect.. hehe). Anyways, eagleboy is right on the money.

But for best quality, you'll have to change cables every time. No way around it.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Crysalis
No i wasn't kidding LOL. You never know sometimes. There are some real idiots that stop by here and ask some DUMB questions... so I replied like that (with all due respect.. hehe). Anyways, eagleboy is right on the money.

But for best quality, you'll have to change cables every time. No way around it.
that why I didn't bother to answer

Closed Thread