How do I back up my MP3s (Help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lencho

Banned
I'm not really sure so im asking here. Do i store it on flash memory? If so how? Where does the flash memory connect to?

I have 370 MP3s and would like to store them for transfer/back-up

I have a Dell Dimension Pentium II

Please..help

MicroBell said:
I don't think a "Flash Memory" would do you any good because of the amount of MP3's. You have 370..lets say at an average of 5MB each...your looking at 1850MB...or about 1.8Gig

true!

or if you dont have a cdrw and another HD....if you know someone with a pc that has a cdrw and has some spare HD space....take your HD out of your system and set it as slave in this persons system,..have him or her copy the the mp3 files to his HD and have the mp3s copied to a cd,...or better yet,..burn the files from your HD directly to a cd.

ok what i was thinking since im getting a new comp, possibly i can take the hardrive of the computer i have now and put it in my new comp, but i have a a deminsion v400 dell desktop with windows 98 and pentium to processor. would it be compatible because my new comp i plan on getting will have pentium 4 with windows xp

reformat the old drive...set it as slave(jumper settings) to the new hard drive...boot xp,...and reformat within windows

? what? so i go cop my self a copy of windows xp and load it to my crappy computer im using now,How do i set to slave, and reformat? um im confused can you give me a step by step instruction

wait for your new computer. when you have it,..you can set your old hard drive to slave...or just remove the jumper.

please read the two links i posted as a reply to your "building your own computer" or sumthing like that thread.

remove old hd from old pc....put old drive in new pc(jumpers should be set as slave or removed). boot your new pc(assuming that windows is already installed) and copy old hd files to new one. should be easy

then after you have copied the files you need,...just right click on the old drive and select format.....then format to the file system you want. its better that your new and old hd have the same filing system.

please research more on this by google searching sites that will guide you thru the process.

but if this is the first time you've heard about this..and assuming that you have not worked around windows xp or the technical side of getting objects out of your pc,..get someone to do it for you.

Another good way to back up/store/listen to mp3's is to get an iPod for Windows. Even an old 5 gig could easily hold your entire library. I suggest this rather than burning a CD or making your old HD a "slave". Some computers are not adapt at reading mp3 CD's well. And with changing out HD's, you always run the risk of messing something up.

Admittedly, an iPod is considerably more expensive than doing these things, but it has more advantages. You can take it with you, you can listen to the songs wherever you are, you will have the reliability of an Apple product, you can also use it as a home stereo, and there is no troubleshooting involved.

I beleive the iPod requirements for Windows are that you have USB 2.0 capabilities. Or perhaps you can use FireWire. But I think that is for Mac formatted iPods only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom