Hooking up console to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMan2718281828

Beta member
Hello,

I was just experimenting and I dunno if I'm doing it wrong or if it's just not possible with the equipment that I have, but I'm trying to hook up my Wii to my PC so that I can play it on my monitor (an Acer X193W 19" flatscreen).

My video card is a GeForce 9800 something or the other (Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards) and I have an s-video cable...one end goes into the video card, and the other end has female Red, Green, and Blue RCA connectors. I tried just hooking my Wii's component cables into one end of the s-video cable and putting the other end into the video card, and then toying with my display settings, but I couldn't find how to change my input.

Does anyone know how I can (or if it's even possible to) get my Wii to display on my monitor?

Thanks,

Chuck

Does your monitor have a s-video in or composite.? You can connect the Wii directly to your monitor bypassing the computer. Then depending upon your speakers you can directly hook those up as well.

FYI - TV cards are AWFUL for gaming on. I have two of them, a PCI one for my desktop (older ATi one), and a newer HP branded Hauppauge WinTV ExpressCard one for my laptop. They are great for watching/recording TV on your PC.

They are horrible for gaming. Why? Lag time. TV tuners take time to convert the analog signal into a digital signal, send it to the processor, feed it to the video card, convert it back to analog, and feed it to your monitor. That introduces a fair bit of delay. For TV this doesn't matter, the frame rate is still smooth and the audio/video sync is still fine, it's just the timing of the picture and sound are delayed from the input.

The problem is, with games you need real-time capability, otherwise you won't be able to react to things in the game. This is especially noticeable in games like Guitar Hero that are based entirely around precise timing.

Although the picture quality isn't as good as you might get with a good TV card, I suggest a converter box. I got a cheaper one called "Video Game Jockey" from Newegg. The picture isn't great, but it is playable and the timing is near instantaneous, I calibrated lag on GH3 with it and came out with 0ms, a perfectly timed system. This is because it is direct analog-to-analog conversion which doesn't have the problems associated with digital conversion that PC tuners have.

FYI - TV cards are AWFUL for gaming on. I have two of them, a PCI one for my desktop (older ATi one), and a newer HP branded Hauppauge WinTV ExpressCard one for my laptop. They are great for watching/recording TV on your PC.

They are horrible for gaming. Why? Lag time. TV tuners take time to convert the analog signal into a digital signal, send it to the processor, feed it to the video card, convert it back to analog, and feed it to your monitor. That introduces a fair bit of delay. For TV this doesn't matter, the frame rate is still smooth and the audio/video sync is still fine, it's just the timing of the picture and sound are delayed from the input.

The problem is, with games you need real-time capability, otherwise you won't be able to react to things in the game. This is especially noticeable in games like Guitar Hero that are based entirely around precise timing.

Although the picture quality isn't as good as you might get with a good TV card, I suggest a converter box. I got a cheaper one called "Video Game Jockey" from Newegg. The picture isn't great, but it is playable and the timing is near instantaneous, I calibrated lag on GH3 with it and came out with 0ms, a perfectly timed system. This is because it is direct analog-to-analog conversion which doesn't have the problems associated with digital conversion that PC tuners have.

it's a little more complicated than that too. tv is stuck at 29fps. they had to drop a frame per second when color came out to make it compatible with black and white. not allowing Tv to increase frames was the primary reason we had such a horrible picture for all of these years. computer games move at a much faster rate

Yeah, a computer game can run at 60+FPS depending on monitor, refresh rate, graphics card, etc.

TV signals are limited to 30fps (29.97 to be exact), movies being at 24fps. A TV capture card will usually capture at 30fps (if it can, sometimes CPU lag will drop frames).

However, he's talking about hooking a video game system up to a monitor. A video game system is designed to output those 29fps TV signals, so that's what you'll get out of one. The frame rate isn't the main problem with TV cards for games (they're smooth enough to play, just the latency is bad).

Yeah, a computer game can run at 60+FPS depending on monitor, refresh rate, graphics card, etc.

TV signals are limited to 30fps (29.97 to be exact), movies being at 24fps. A TV capture card will usually capture at 30fps (if it can, sometimes CPU lag will drop frames).

However, he's talking about hooking a video game system up to a monitor. A video game system is designed to output those 29fps TV signals, so that's what you'll get out of one. The frame rate isn't the main problem with TV cards for games (they're smooth enough to play, just the latency is bad).

whatever. why do everybody turn everything here into a peeing match? I was just agreeing with you with why you shouldn't use a tv tuner card to play games and adding a little more info to it and now we are playing a game of my balls is bigger than yours. I'm not in the mood. I'm tired of arguing with all of these young "know it all'er" since I'm always wrong

it's a latency and frame per second issue, because it just doesn't keep up even when you factor in the lag time.

eMan2718281828 I don't really game that much so I was giving you a simple answer. everybody else here seem to think that playing games on a capture card is fine. I've been telling them for 5 years not to do it, but it's the new craze.

if you want to avoid this issue entirely and your wii had hdmi ports, buy a hdmi to dvi adapter. you will have to route your sound to something else like a receiver, because dvi is basically hdmi without audio. then you can bypass the computer, keep high resolution and speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom