Hooking speakers up via digital/5.1 Speaker placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
I have Logitech Z680 Speakers (http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews4/z680.html). The first thing I want to know, about how far apart should the front speakers be (in feet or inches?) from the center speaker (which should be behind my monitor, right?). And how many feet apart should the two back speakers be?

Next thing, I want to hook my speakers up through digital output so I can get the full effects rather then regular RCA jacks, the speakers have connections for both Digital Optical and Digital Coax. And, I have a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card.

Which cables would I need to buy and how does this all get hooked up via digital cables? My sound card only has hook up for RCA jacks; so I'm assuming that I would have to get this: Newegg.com - TRIPP LITE A060-006 RF Digital Coax Audio Cable 6' - Retail which is a digital coax cable.

There are three wires right now. Green, black, and yellow. My sound card has four hookups (for green, black, and yellow, mic). Does this digital cable replace the green wire (which is the main)?

So, I got my speakers set up right now.. all I need to know is how I can hook them up via digital connections?

Speaker placement:

The front left and right should be equal distance apart. Then, the distance from the left to the right should be the distance between you and the center as well as the left and right. So, if your left and right speakers are 3 feet apart, you should be 3 feet away. They should be at ear level facing directly forward (no angles, etc). The rears should be the same (3 feet to the side/behind you). The center channel should be either under the monitor, or on top.

The sub should be placed either in front of you on the floor, or to one side in front of you on the floor.

Digital connection:

You must buy the digital connection cable from creative for it to work. Either that, or the front panel that has digital coax AND spdif (optical) ins and outs.
Otherwise, you have to buy the special cable from creative.

Send them an email and ask where to find it.

Thats not a really good question to ask me... I'm a sound engineer... my "computer" speakers (studio monitors) cost $1,000. So, its up to you

I dont know your budget/income, and what you can afford. If it were me, there would be no question. I would probably have that before I bought a 5.1 system. Digital outs are pure and raw information that your speakers will decode the way the sound engineer intended it to sound (As long as you disable EQ, CMSS, and all the other crap).

Thats not a really good question to ask me... I'm a sound engineer... my "computer" speakers (studio monitors) cost $1,000. So, its up to you

I dont know your budget/income, and what you can afford. If it were me, there would be no question. I would probably have that before I bought a 5.1 system. Digital outs are pure and raw information that your speakers will decode the way the sound engineer intended it to sound (As long as you disable EQ, CMSS, and all the other crap).

Haha, awesome. I'll look into it-- thanks man!

OK, I have the same sound card, and the same speaker hook-ups (orange, black, green).

So, to make it digital, I would just use any ordinary coax cable, correct? Would the one the OP posted work?

And where would I plug the coax cable into my sound card as there are 4 holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom