Hook up Laptop to HDTV Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandi7786

Solid State Member
I have an HDTV, and a laptop that does not have an HDMI spot so when buying the cables to hook it up to my tv i did research. I bought a VGA cable (works great!) and a 3.5mm RCA cable thing. The Audio cable is suppose to hook into the headphone jack on my laptop and into my tv with red & white jacks.. i plugged the jacks into the corresponding red & white spots and... NO SOUND. What am I doing wrong? Please help me ASAP. I watch old tv shows online and at first i just hooked up computer speakers and it was fine. But i just started to watch a different show and the sound is low.. even when its turned all the way up on the video, my laptop, and the speakers, and its really annoying!

I have an HDTV, and a laptop that does not have an HDMI spot so when buying the cables to hook it up to my tv i did research. I bought a VGA cable (works great!) and a 3.5mm RCA cable thing. The Audio cable is suppose to hook into the headphone jack on my laptop and into my tv with red & white jacks.. i plugged the jacks into the corresponding red & white spots and... NO SOUND. What am I doing wrong? Please help me ASAP. I watch old tv shows online and at first i just hooked up computer speakers and it was fine. But i just started to watch a different show and the sound is low.. even when its turned all the way up on the video, my laptop, and the speakers, and its really annoying!

Are you plugging them into audio inputs?

If you are, then have you checked your TV's audio menu to see if its setup to receive input on the VGA signal through those inputs?

Usually there's a 3.5mm jack next to the VGA that you plug into, so you just need a 3.5mm male-to-male cable and it goes from the headphone jack on the laptop to the 3.5mm input jack on the TV next to the VGA port.

carnageX
I went to the menu on my tv, and it doesn't say anything about VGA audio.. so I tried to do take the "headphone jack" and plug it into the spot by where the VGA cable is hooked in.. didn't work, but here's the thing.. when i was looking up what I needed for this to work i found that i needed a VGA cable.. got it, and it works, and then it said to get a "Y Audio Cable" one side it hooks into the headphone jack and the other has the red and white audio male inputs... after posting that post i went online and saw where they had VGA cables that also had the sound male cable with it.. does that mean on the other end of that cable that it would also have the VGA and the 'male' part to go into the spot where the headphones plug in? am i gonna have to buy all new stuff? cuz i tried hooking up the Y Audio Cable and just pluging in one of the things.. still nothing.

What brand/model of TV is it? Maybe I can check it out and see where it should get hooked up at.

Thanks! Hey I added u on MSN messanger.. it might be easier to talk on there.. idk u decide.... anyways I have a 27' Insignia flat panel HDTV, they don't make it anymore.. um what do u need exactly? THANKS!

http://insigniaproducts.com/cms/documents/NS-27LCD UM EN_SP_FR.pdf

That's your manual. Check out page 5, on the diagram of the back of the TV. Connections #3 and #4.

And from looking at the pictures of the back panel here (click on 'More Images'): Insigniaâ„¢ 27" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HDTV : Insignia

It show's its a normal 3.5mm jack.

You just need a normal 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable for audio, and your existing VGA cable. Then switch the TV to VGA input, and it should work. Make sure the audio cable is pushed all the way in on both ends (I've done that before, where I didn't have the connector all the way in the jack).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom