Help will be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisefool

Solid State Member
Hi everone,

I have got a problem that I have been trying to solve for nearly a week now and this is my final resort. I dont like troubling you guys, but this has really got to me.

Well, the story goes like this. One day my brother was offering to buy me RAM so i opened up my computer so we can take a look at the model. When we put it back altogether, the computer wouldnt let me log onto windows.

After fiddling around, we could get in again, but when i logged onto my account, there was no sound! When I try to run volume control it just says: "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to control panel, click printers and other hardware, and then click add hardware."

I did exactly that but the computer did not detect anything new.

For the past few days, ive been searching on the net and found people with similar problems to me. They recommended stuff like installing drivers, turning off and on the "Windows audio" service and I tried, but to no avail.

I checked my device manager and I couldnt see c-media or something i am pretty sure i used to have. I read somewhere that the yellow exclamation mark might be the problem but i couldnt see a yellow exclamation mark anywhere.

I tried downloading "C-Media High Definition Audio Driver" from the internet and failed and said: "Device doesnt exist or maybe removed by manually. Please plug in device or reboot and try install again"

What i think seems to be the problem is my sound card. I am pretty sure its integrated or something because I did not see it when i opened my computer. I even tried using Belarc and it says under multimedia "Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device." But i am pretty sure I might have knocked it or something... Maybe someone knows a program to detect if the sound card is there?

So anyone have any ideas why my computer is lacking sound? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wisefool

It would be very helpful if you could post all the details that Belarc Advisor gives you (I mean the complete specs of your PC).

I believe you just need the right drivers.

You could also give Everest a try. POST all ur specs. The more you post, the easier it is for people here to help you.

Ok. Sorry guys.

From Belarc:

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional (build 2600) Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.40 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: SiS-650GX
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 08/29/2003
Drives Memory Modules c,d
82.34 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
21.29 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON LTR-52327S [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

HDS722580VLAT20 [Hard drive] (82.35 GB) -- drive 0, s/n VNR81EC2SVZ37M, rev V32OA60A, SMART Status: Healthy 224 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 256 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' is Empty
Slot 'A3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 82.34 GB 21.29 GB free
Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Administrator 8/8/2006 9:14:38 PM (admin)
Edwin 11/18/2006 4:52:44 PM
Guest 11/19/2006 9:59:10 AM
Winston Kosasih 11/19/2006 10:00:30 AM (admin)
local system accounts
HelpAssistant never
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

DISABLED Marks a disabled account; LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account
None detected
Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller SiS 650_651_M650_M652_740 [Display adapter]
Acer 15.2 [Monitor] (15.2"vis, May 2000)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (2x) Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Communications Other Devices
ESS ES56H-PI Data Fax Voice Modem

SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
primary IP Address: 10.1.1.6 / 8
Gateway: 10.1.1.1
Physical Address: 00:0D:87:9E:2F:E1

Networking Dns Servers: 168.95.1.1
USB Human Interface Device
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
HID-compliant mouse
USB Root Hub (2x)
Virus Protection [Back to Top]
No details available

I also figured out the name of my motherboard from Everest. I checked under motherboard and the manufactures name is "Elitegroup Computer Systems".

Also my motherboard name: ECS 651-M v1.

Thanks

Edit: Here might be another clue:

When I go to control panel, and click Sound and Audio Devices Properties, under the Volume tab, it says "No Audio Device", but when I go to the Audio tab, under sound playback and sound recording, the default device is "Modem #2 Line Playback"

It appears you have integrated sound, as you suspected.

My two thoughts are that either:

1. you somehow disabled the sound in your BIOS
or
2. the sound section of your motherboard has gone bad.

If it is #2, you can likely add a separate sound card and things will work fine.

Thanks for the replies.

@penfold: So how do I reable the sound on the BIOS? And how do i know if i have a bad mobo? Is it possible to buy sound cards and put them in? If I can, how?

Sorry for all the questions but really need to get this fixed :)

@ncjimn: How do I check? And I have downloaded the sound driver and tried to install it. This is what it says:

Warning
Our audio chip provides milti-speaker surround and realistic sound effects Due to the fact that your computer is not equipped with our audio chip, you cannot avail yourself to these advance features.

For more information, please contact your computer dealer

C-Media Electronic Inc.

So any ideas?

So even if i buy the sound card how do i put it in?

Thanks

I tried that driver ncjimn and it still didnt work. Volume control still said no actifve mixer devices available.

I have registered on that forum where I hope I can get replies as soon as possible.

I do not want to buy a new soundcard at the moment and I want to make sure my integrated soundcard is still there. If it is, then it should just be the driver problem. If my soundcard is broken then I will buy a new one :)

However, the question is: is my soundcard still working?

I still do not know and if someone has a method of finding out please tell me.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom