Help my digital audio out on my pc won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvudmac

Beta member
Ok. I took my pc to geek squad because the DVD burner was not working. It was under warranty still so no charge.

They said the video card that I had purchased from them as an add on was bad too so they replaced it with a Radeon HD 3450 card. I like it. It has a straight HDMI output as well as DVI to hdmi on it instead of just DVI to hdmi.

So I get it home the HDMI audio output works but I don't have a way to run that into my home stereo system. So I tried the digital audio out and it doesn't work. I tried switching the sound setting on my control panel and no luck. The only audio output device available is the new ATI video card. Shouldn't have a default audio card that comes with media center? Or my HP pavillion in the first place? How can i find that hardware?

I have windows media center edition. The only installed sound device is the HD video cards built one. So did the delete my audio driver or card on accident. I can take it back tomorrow and have them fix it but I want to watch something on my pc tonight with my surround sound. Any suggestions?

thanks ps Geek squad sux.

edit: BTW I have had this same pc and setup for 2 years and the digital audio out worked until last week.

Check under the Control Panel Sound settings. Do you have Digital Audio tunred on?

Any idea where that would be in the sound settings tabs. I have tried every set-up option it has but still no audio out. I took it back to best buy and they said they couldn't help me which is awesome because they are the ones who f'd it up in the first place. Where would the settings be for the default audio on the motherboard or how could I get it to default back to that audio and leave the ATI HD audio device alone. It is listed as my only default audio device...the ATI HD rear audio output that is.

Are you running XP or Vista? Have you checked for updated drivers?

Are you running XP or Vista? Have you checked for updated drivers?
I am running XP media center edition but i think i found the problem but don't know how to fix it. The audio is defaulting to my ATI HD video card's HDMI output. I need it to default to the motherboards default digital audio output. I took it up to best buy again this morning they wanted to charge me 150 to come to my house. I was like no thanks. Another way around it is to buy and optical audio cord and run it from my tv (where the HDMI audio is inputing) to my Stereo system but I don't have the cash to buy the cord until tomorrow so. I am still stuck with TV only audio.

I went into my sound settings and nothing else is showing up under default devices but i remember a Realtek audio setting somewhere. So how do i get it to detect the default audio from my motherboard. I went and searched for hardware under device manager and nothing popped up but i know there is more there.

Under the sound settings you should be able to select your onboard and use that as default.o under control panel just as i have said. Now the window pops up. Now go under Audio you will see the option to select your default device. Select the onboard. Jsut like it shows in my attachment. Click apply and it should be all set.

Attachments

• soundpanel.gif
    soundpanel.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 212
The onboard doesn't show up only ATI HD rear audio. How do I make it find the device. I already tried searching for hardware.

IF you have the HDMI cable hooked up that is probably what is preventing you from being able to select the onboard as HDMI has the preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom