Help me choose a Drawing Tablet please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scepth

Beta member
I need your opinion people. As you can see I enjoy drawing, and I'm looking to further develop my skills digitally. I could always sketch or draw a nice image on paper but, I always seem to mess it up after scanning it on my laptop and trying to colour it using Photoshop.. Its just.. using a mouse to outline, colour fill, and shade/add textures on my drawings is really hard and frustrating. The results always comes out different from my original art. And I'd like to keep the authenticity and at the same time make it look more clean, detailed, and professional looking.

So now I'm thinking of getting a new drawing tablet. I've never used or have one before.. but now I'm seriously considering it. I draw alot on pencil and paper. And I never get to colour any of my drawings because I don't like using coloured markers, pastels, or crayons.. -.- I always end up ruining my drawings. So I started to just draw, scan, then outline, and colour on the computer. The process takes so long and is very hard to do using a mouse. I tried studying different styles and techniques to cut time and make the whole process easier.. but it never worked and the result always come up the same. I went through a drawing slump for about a year or so and I just stopped drawing and had no motivation at all. I felt that my skills will always be limited coz I don't have the materials I need to work on and improve myself. =/ But now I'm trying to get back into it. And I want to polish my skills because I really love and enjoy drawing.

So here are my choices for Drawing tablets. (I'm only going to buy Wacom brands since they're recommended and trusted by the pros.)

wacomparisonc.gif

Comparing them:

Wacom Bamboo - $98.99

The cheapest out of the three. Its got all the basics, no "pen tilt angle". Which means my drawings will be limited and no matter how I hold the pen. The strokes that will come up on the screen.. will always look like it was drawn straight down. "The difference of Bamboo and Bamboo fun from Intuos models is like comparing a picture drawn with a crayon, to a fine tipped pen". Quoted from an expert/professional who's owned basically all models from Wacom and has experience using them for years.

Wacom Bamboo Fun - $129.99
The second cheapest Drawing tablet. The difference between Bamboo Standard and Bamboo fun is just a few noticeable features.. 1. It comes with a mouse(woopty doo). 2. It has Pen and Eraser pressure sensitivity. Meaning I can do variations when erasing and smudging my drawings.. Other than that, its pretty much the same with Bamboo standard. It also doesn't have the "Pen tilt angle" feature.

Wacom Intuos4 Small - $329.99 / Medium - $549.99

These are the newest models of Wacom drawing tablets. They're SOO EXPENSIVE ;_; But hearing from other people who've purchased them. They don't regret it, and they say its worth investing in to. Its got all the nice features.. Pen tilt angle, more express keys, and most importantly; increase pressure sensitivity. Which means I can draw more naturally, strokes and brushing will be more refined.

The Intuos4 small version, is missing a couple of LED light features on the side, and has fewer express keys (used for hot keying and macroing). Plus the tablet area (where I'll be drawing on) is quite small. I'm not really sure if this will make much difference seeing as I happen to do smaller drawings plus, I'm gonna be using it with my laptop. So my screen resolution won't be that big anyways (1280x800) 15.4" Wide Display screen.

The Medium version, is what everyone mostly recommend due to its comfortable drawing area size. And its got all the standard features. But still... a whoping $549.99 Canadian -_-..

Any suggestions or insights on this? Comments and feedbacks please D: ;(

I own the Wacom Graphire as I'm in game development and it's absolutely amazing. It is true that the higher levels do make a difference. The Bamboo is good for simple sketching etc. If you're looking to be more serious, go for the Graphire or Intuos like you posted.

I've not bought one yet, but have been looking at them for some time. The Intuos4 is absolutely the one to go for, everyone says it. I've never had the privilege of using one, but everyone says so.

Thanks for the input guys.

It's still a little confusing because some people also say that Bamboo can get the job done just as good as an Intuos. They say its not about the material, its about the person's "skill".

I'm going to be using it mostly for detailing, inking, colouring and texturing though.. so I don't really know if Bamboo or Bamboo fun can handle such tasks as good as Intuos. Does the pressure sensitivity and pen angle really make that much of a difference when doing very detailed work?

Thanks again for your time guys, I really appreciate it. :) Keep those expert opinions comming. :cool:

Pressure sensitivity is the big factor for me. Makes texturing a whole lot easier in PS. Pen angle I really don't worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom