Help With Digital Recording please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairuza

Baseband Member
I have recently purchased an E-MU 0404 soundcard, which came bundled with Cubase LE, Ableton LE, Wavelab and a bunch of other professional software.

I've set everything up as per the manufacturers directions and now I want to make a simple recording.

I have a mixing desk (Behringer UB1204FX Pro) which I assume preamps the signal from an instrument or mic well enough to be picked up by the line in of the sound IO (it worked with my old soundcard).

I've had it set up for a week now and can't get a single sound to record into Cubase, Wavelab or anything.

I've temporarily installed Audacity, because I know how that works, just to see if it was the software that was causing the problem.

The software includes a virtual DSP mixer console. I'm using an electric guitar, to test things. On the DSP mixer, I can see plenty of meter activity for the signal input, so I assume the sound card must be working properly.

The ASIO drivers are installed. I've made sure the applications themselves have the 0404 set as the default device for both in and out.

But when I try to record anything, with any kind of software, I just get a silent, blank file. A big NOTHING.

So what have I missed here? Any ideas why I can't record?

Recheck the connections...are you getting sound out of the speakers???

Also are you micing the guitar or are you recording it via a trs cable.

Recheck the connections...are you getting sound out of the speakers???

Also are you micing the guitar or are you recording it via a trs cable.

Connections appear all good.

I'm getting sound out of the speakers, yes.

I don't know what a TRS cable is but it's not miced because it's an electric.

Like I said, meter activity is healthy on the virtual DSP. It's just that no recording is made.

---------------------------

One more thing, which I've only just thought of...

I didn't think it was important, so didn't mention it at the time, but while I was trying to use my onboard sound (that is, before I bought the 0404) recording was not possible then, either. I tried everything and eventually turned to the laptop for recording. When the line-in on the laptop's onboard sound stopped working as well, I bought a cheap, no-name USB sound IO module to see me through. That worked reliably - even though it was cheap & nasty.

Remember, it's exactly this fiddling hassle I was aiming to avoid, when I was thinking of going all-hardware and bypassing computers. So I think I've proved my point.

Computers are more versatile, when they work properly. It's just getting them to work properly in the first place, that makes it far more long winded than buying the appropriate hardware and getting to work straight away.

But I've made this decision, knowing exactly what it would entail so no surprises there. I guess I'm halfway there with it now (and it's cost a lot less), so might as well stick with it.

So please - any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Update (if anyone's interested).

I have uninstalled and re-installed Creative Professional's E-MU DSP Patchmix and I've just made my first recording!

What a silly bug...

But it works. I've tried it in Wavelab Cubase so far but the recording is far too quiet. I have everything turned right up, but it sounds worse than my old laptop.

On top of the situation now. Output is just right. Inputs work great. Sticking with FL Studio for a little while longer, while I learn Cubase, Sonar and the rest.

Sonar isn't accepting audio in at the moment. Not sure why, because I've checked the settings. System is stripped of unecessary junk and sliding along nicely, producing great sound.

So if anyone in future has a similar problem after installing this card - the answer is to re-install the DSP mixer - AFTER installing all 3rd party software. Then it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom