Headset oddly quiet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtlecake

Solid State Member
I just bought a new Fatal1ty headset to use on steam and in various games. However, when I talk to my friend on steam (I have tested this with a few people) he says he can only hear me very quietly. I have the microphone volume in volume control turned up all the way and I have mic boost on. Is this a problem with the microphone? Is there any way to fix this, or should I just return the mic.

Kinda off topic I guess... Could anyone either recommend a good, comfortable headset with high sound quality that works well in-game, or at least direct me to where I should ask such a question...

Thanks in advance.

Make sure the microphone control are tuned to high on computer as well as on the phone. If that does not work, I would try another microphone and see the volume which
make sures the problem is with sound card or with the microphone.

Sam.

Ok, I installed new drivers and the mic worked fine for a while earlier when I was playing tf2 and talking on steam. Now its back to its crappy reception again! Can someone please help me fix this... It was definately working earlier.

Are you using a onboard sound card or a dedicated sound card?

Well get something like Everest, SiSoftware Sandra, Belarc advisor or even check your device manager to see what type of sound card you have.

If it is a sound balster live! that could be the issue. They are not that powerful and you could not get the power needed to have the boost you need.

Would that explain why the microphone only works sometimes? Because as I said, it was working for a while earlier...

In the device manager, i see Creative SB Live! Value (WDM), is that the sound card? Would getting a new sound card be garaunteed to fix this? I just spent money on this headset, I want to make sure I can get it to work...

That is a low powered sound card. So that could explain why the volume is so low. I am not even sure if that is a 16 Bit sound card. Migt be since it is a Live card.

I cant guarantee that a new sound card would fix the issue. With PC's the only guarantee is that there will be issues to work thru.

So is there any other explanation for why the mic would work for a while, and then barely pick up any audio only a few minutes later?

Also, what would you recommend... Should I get a new mic, or a new sound card, or both. When this mic was working, it seemed great, so I hope I don't have to replace it.

Hmm...if I bought a USB microphone, would that help? >_>;;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom