headphones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5.1 headphones generally sound worse than plain ol' headphones.

Was the guy you asked at Best Buy part of the geek squad? I hate those dumbasses. They don't know sh1t about sh1t.

grego said:

Eagleboy, I would consider our hearing EXTREMELY directional for most of the audible spectrum, just that our sensitivity to volume is a factor that will easily limit it.

Well, I believe our spatial hearing is accurate to ~5 degrees, but some of that is also due to head movement - something that is not available to us through headphone use.

However, we do have spatial hearing - not as good as other animals, but we do have it available to us, and it is far from terrible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2451430
this has some really cool info on the ear... especially the first 2 paragraphs....

That was a decent read. Like you said, mainly the beginning. I still don't know if I agree with them about the tree falling in the forest though :p. Afterall, "sound" is merely perception of energy, and if, like they say, no one is there to perceive anything, wouldn't there just be energy, and not sound? :D

Yea, like you said, some of our ability to detect direction does come from head movement, which definitely isn't available in headphones. I think that's why headphones, especially 5.1, have a huge job to accomplish. They have to attempt to recreate an accurate soundfield without relying on our ability to vary our ears' position to the speaker. I don't think the 5.1 cans are up to it yet! (though I would like to listen to the $800-900 ones)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom