HDMI to VGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I see it, HDMI has the best quality but nothing supports it. I use a VGA monitor for my stationary, and all the projectors at my university uses VGA as well.
Because of this, it is pretty much impossible for me to do presentations, or anything else from my laptop. The only advantage would be if I were to buy a LCD monitor. However, I am pretty confident in the fact that any monitor I could afford, would be of such poor quality, that I wouldn't notice the quality anyway, nor ever need it. And besides, if I wanted a LCD monitor, I could just use the one in my laptop.

But yes. When you compare the specs, HDMI is superior to VGA, but very very.. very.. impractical given the equipment available to me.

DVI-D is the most superior of all connections from tests I've done. Our Programming Efficiency class tested about 8 different media connections and DVI can send the most data in the least amount of time of video connections.

^ Must not be a highly supported media where he is yet. Here you only have 2 choices: DVI or HDMI. Component is even dying now.

If i am not mistaken Feb 19, 2009 everything will be DIGITAL. Which means more support for DVI/HDMI and less support for VGA.

The Feb 19 2009 thing is only referring to switching NTSC over-the-air TV to ATSC digital antenna transmissions. It has nothing to do with eliminating composite/component/vga or even standard NTSC cable, just antenna.

The problem is, many people have perfectly fine VGA monitors and projectors. Projectors are, in fact, ridiculously expensive, even for a "cheap" one, you'll pay $500 or more. If a university/school has already shelled out several thousand dollars to equip classrooms with projectors (that support only VGA inputs), they expect them to last a while. It isn't like software, where you just get the latest updates for free. Investing in DVI projectors (that have the same brightness, resolution, etc as the current VGA ones) is pointless.

They shouldn't be phasing out VGA, if you're going to buy an HDMI laptop, make sure that it also has a VGA output.

DVI -> HDMI (usually without sound) and VGA
HDMI -> DVI (BUT cannot then be adapted to VGA, sound is lost)
VGA -> VGA (cannot be adapted to anything else)

I understand that Calc. But the thing is that unless you are using Analog you are going to have to get converter boxes for everything. As even most cable boxes now have Digital stuff wtih DVI and/or HDMI. Mine is about 6 months old and other than the coaxil cable there is DVI/HDMI nothing else. No composite, component or VGA.

So unless i wanted to spend more money to get a converter to allow for connection to my analog devices it is all digital now.

So in effect once TV stations go Digital there will be no reason for analog stuff to continue. Sicne TV is the largest medium out there, there is no reason for companies to dontinue to make things with analog support. Cause it will cost consumers more to get them working next year. Even TV's now have digital tuners in them ready for the conversion. So along with that VGA, composite will die out. Since it will cost companies and consumers more to get them working after Feb 2009.

That is what i am trying to say.

I understand that Calc. But the thing is that unless you are using Analog you are going to have to get converter boxes for everything. As even most cable boxes now have Digital stuff wtih DVI and/or HDMI. Mine is about 6 months old and other than the coaxil cable there is DVI/HDMI nothing else. No composite, component or VGA.

So unless i wanted to spend more money to get a converter to allow for connection to my analog devices it is all digital now.

So in effect once TV stations go Digital there will be no reason for analog stuff to continue. Sicne TV is the largest medium out there, there is no reason for companies to dontinue to make things with analog support. Cause it will cost consumers more to get them working next year. Even TV's now have digital tuners in them ready for the conversion. So along with that VGA, composite will die out. Since it will cost companies and consumers more to get them working after Feb 2009.

That is what i am trying to say.

so true.

also, here in the us that don't care anything old technology obsolete and causing people and campuses to spend millions more for it

so true.

also, here in the us that don't care anything old technology obsolete and causing people and campuses to spend millions more for it

I must have been smokin crack when I wrote this. Sike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom