Getting video from a camera on to a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbernie41

In Runtime
I want to get video from a video camera on my computer. At this moment I have no camera. So, Do I need a digital video camera or can I somehow get video from a different format video camera onto the computer? Also, does anyone have any recommendations about some good and fairly cheap cameras.

Get a video camera with a Firewire connection, if you have one on your computer. Otherwise try to get a USB one instead. These can be used to stream and record the data onto your computer.

Firewire is the preferred way of transferring DV footage to a computer. USB is really really bad for that kind of stuff. The reason it is bad is because it cannot handle the bandwidth needed for video that is uncompressed AVI. Which is 25Mbit for each second of video.

Also if your going to get a DV cam make sure you get something to suit your needs. If you need a small camera get a MiniDV, if you don't care about size get a Digital8 camera. A digital 8 cameras last longer and less things can go wrong with them, they are built on already perfected technology.8mm format has been around for about 12 years. but they a large compared to MiniDv cams.

MiniDV cams are small, but alot of parts are inside of the camera, which means more things can go wrong. MiniDV has been around for about 6 or 7 years. Also since the cameras are smaller, the smaller the mechanisms inside of the camera. If you drop it you can expect that it will break.

Digital8 and MiniDV offer the same picture quality.

Oh and if you dont want a Digital Camcorder, you can save money and get a VHS-C or 8mm camcorder, they are built like tanks. They are fairly cheap. But to transfer the video you need an analog>digital converter. They are about $100, but high-end ones are about $400-600. But what is good about converters is that you can back up your priceless old home videos to a digital format.

It really comes down to what you need and your personal opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom