Getting the most out of the Z-2300's

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx7i2

In Runtime
What would be the best sound card to get for the Z-2300's? Right now, I have Onboard sound and I was looking at getting the X-Fi Xtreme Music or Xtreme Gamer. My budget right now is at about $120 for a sound card - any suggestions?

don't get the xtreme music... its not even worth unpacking it. Gamer would be the better choice.

An audigy 2 ZS or an X-fi (With CMSS and Crystallizer disabled) are your best bets. I had the audigy for 3-4 years and I LOVED it. I wish I didn't get my X-fi because the audigy was that good. I sold it to a guy on TF just last week. I already miss it.

So yea... Audigy 2 ZS or any X-fi but the music version.

Crysalis what you said about the ExtremeMusic card is the total opposite to what 003 said on my post 'Godo gaming headphones', and to be honest i beleive him, read reviews on it. there great cards. So Rx7i2 please do not rule out the ExtremeMusic X-Fi Card, its a great card with some great features. And reading my thread called 'Good - Gaming Headphones' has quite alot about it on audio cards, so please read it. It may help you decide. Heres the link > http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143480

P.S. I have the Z2300's very big brother the Z5500's. And there amazing speakers, so i know you made the right choice by going with Logitech's Z Series !... !!THEY OWN!!

KMAN - Good luck with that. That is the reason why I said NO COMMENT in your thread. It isn't a BAD card, but its definitely not worth the money. But... you have your mind set and what do i know... I'm just some lame audio engineer.

meh

Meh now you tell me, Now i dont no who to beleive :p.

Audio Engineer, or a man with a cool name as James Bonds counter part '003'. This could sway either way :)

003 and I have our differences and have (at least I) come to terms with it. He is a very smart guy and does know a good bit about sound/audio. If he recommends something to you and you are happy with it, then go for it by all means. I do not want to disrespect someone elses knowledge and opinions. I am more than happy to give my opinion on something, but if 003 answers the question for you, i'll let it go. If ever you want a second opinion, i'd be happy to help. But, if I do, realize that I do not want you to throw out 003's advice.

Ok Thanks. Now i know your an audio engineer, i will certainly take on board your help, along with 003's. So if i was to get a sound card would you say the X-Fi ExtremeGamer FAtal1ty Edition was agood choice ?

Its a good card, but i wouldn't bother with the fatality. If it floats your boat, sure go ahead. I had an audigy 2 zs for years and i recently just bought the X-fi Platinum to make sure I was giving the right advice. I hate to say it, but I was. The crystallizer adds distortion like no other and CMSS takes a LOT away from the sound. My friend swears by the 3d surround function of CMSS, but if he leaves it off, it sounds even better since the sound is unaltered and the headphones are simulating the surround effect.

I recently started doing some audio work again and i have to say, I HATE the x-fi for audio work. It will NOT handle what my audigy could handle. The audio engine constantly shuts down and I have to restart my programs losing my work. I'm working on trying to find a fix for it, but no professional software programs support the X-fi... only the audigy. It would be nice as the X-fi has a MUCH better SNR, but its simply not working.

As for EAX, I noticed no difference in gaming. BF2 sounded exactly the same being set from high to the "ULTRA HIGH X-FI" setting. So, the upgrade from EAX 4 to 5 was not worth it. All in all, its a good card given the fact that you remember to change the mode when needed, disable CMSS and Crystallizer and aren't doing any GOOD recordings. I paid $20 for mine after rebates, so I'm not dissappointed about it. If I had paid full price, It would have gone back ASAP.

Its weird, an opinion coming from an audio engineer says there crap. But the reviews on overclockers ect ect say the X-Fi sound engine is very good, all the X-Fi cards ge 8+, Maybe its just because you have high expectations as a Audio Engineer :p. but TBH, i trust you more than these reviews.

Im sure it cant be worse than my Onboard Audio at the moment (which to my horror, is actually of a 'bareable' quality. You can actually listen to music for over 10 consecutive miliseconds before gasping in dispear and imediately closing winddows media player, its a revelation :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom