Functions of a DVD-R disc for recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duzkt

Solid State Member
Hello. We recently bought a Hitachi DZ-MV780A DVD Video Camera. This camera is only compatible with DVD-R, DVD-RAM, and cards for recording video and still images.

My question is regarding the DVD-R medium. I was told by the guy who sold the camera to us that it's possible to rewrite previously recorded material on a DVD-R disc. That is, to be able to record something, rewind, and then re-record over it with new material. However, after looking through the entire instruction booklet and trying my own trial-and-error methods, I can't seem to find a way to do this.

So is it possible to rewrite video data on a DVD-R disc? If not, does that mean you're only able to record once from beginning to end, and that everything you record on the DVD-R is permanent?

I'd really appreciate any kind of help or advice here. Thanks.

A quick search on google for your particular camera revealed the following:

The Hitachi DZMV780A records to miniDVD-RAMs (which are rewritable) and miniDVD-R discs (which are not rewritable and must be finalized to watch on a DVD player or computer).

Jamil said:
A quick search on google for your particular camera revealed the following:

The Hitachi DZMV780A records to miniDVD-RAMs (which are rewritable) and miniDVD-R discs (which are not rewritable and must be finalized to watch on a DVD player or computer).
Thanks. So basically what the guy told me at the store was BS. Also, I guess it's a bit irrelevent, but what exactly is the point of a DVD-R then? It seems to me that with that kind of limited funtionality it's a downgrade over C-VHS.

I appreciate your answer, and it was the one I was expecting to get. DVD-RAM discs aren't compatible with our DVD player so we might just look into returning this camera and getting one that's compatable with DVD-RW discs instead.

Since you can play DVD-R discs in your DVD player, that would be one point of the camera supporting them. As for DVD-R being a downgrade over C-VHS, there's pluses and minuses to take into consideration. The first thing that comes to mind with C-VHS is data longevity and volatility. A tape's life is much lower than that of a DVD, so you could film something on a DVD-R and keep it for years.

C-VHS would be more comparable to DVD-RAM or DVD-RW than CD-R though.

Well, DVD-RW discs are also compatable with our DVD player. The thing is, we just want a medium where we can record video, and then if we choose, re-record over the same data by rewriting it. Simple as that. So do you think just getting a similar video camera--but one that's compatable with DVD-RW discs--would be a good idea?

I'm not sure how long DVD-RW video cameras have been out now (i.e., how cheap they are now). If they are pricey and can afford to wait a little, you may want to consider alternatives. If the price is reasonable, then I would seek out product reviews.

Good luck with your purchase.

if I am correct you can erase and rerecord on dvd ram. so I i'd use that and then then tranfer the finish product to dvd-r

DVD-RAM discs are significantly more expensive though, aren't they? Also, how does one go about transferring a finished DVD-RW over to DVD-R? Is that done on the computer? If so, is a DVD-drive required or can it just be done with a CD-ROM drive?

What do you mean by DVD recorder?

What we have is a DVD player, with which you can record on to both DVD-R and DVD-RW. So, once you've filled up a DVD-RAM, would you just be able to play it back by plugging the camera into the TV and recording that onto a blank DVD-R directly?

Also, once you've done that, can you then just delete everything on the DVD-RAM disc and re-use it all over again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom