frustratingly bizarre DVD audio problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lathqe

Beta member
I've been building compters for 15 years and have recently found something I need help with:

On 2 different systems I built the DVD drives will not pull data off them properly and I can not pinpoint what is causing it. One system is an ABIT K7 series with a DVD burner and a regular DVD drive - both have the problem. The other board is an MSI Athlon 64. One has a radeon the other has a gforce.

The drives are fine (tested in other systems). The symptoms look like a faint stutter in video (hardly noticeable) and a much more obvious audio crackling noise.

If I extract the VOBs it has the errors in it, but if I play one that was extracted on a different system or an AVI or anything else, it's fine. (so I don't think it's a codec issue?)

These use the same Windows 2000 install I have used hundreds of other times.

please please, has anyone solved this before?

solved (I think)

well, chalk this one up as another example of onboard audio not being sufficient.

The problem had nothing to do with DMA settings or CSS encoding or any of that. I simply failed (to my great chagrin) to realize how worthless the onboard audio was. Never before have I had a motherboard that couldn't simply play a DVD, but that was the case here. I threw in an Audigy Value and *poof* no more problem.

Grrr.

I'm disappointed that I missed something so basic, but I'm even more disappointed that two of the best motherboard manufacturers would put out boards that can't perform the most basic of functions. I may have to work this into future computer budgets.

Thanks for you replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom