frozen media

Status
Not open for further replies.

britfin

Solid State Member
After a friend of mine set up Pinnacle studio 9 on my machine, all of my media files stopped working properly. I try to play a file I would get an error message, after that a drwatson error message. Then the machine would freeze. I couldn't delete or right click any files. I then installed a new HD, installed the os and other software. Still I cannot play media files, music skips and video (divx/xvid) freezes after about 30 seconds. I tried formatting the hard drives but still the problem persists. I have downloaded all of the codecs I can think of. Installed VLC media player, Divx player and upated the Microsoft media player to v10. I have run out of idea's.

What can I do?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MSI KT3 Ultra aru
Athlon xp2200
DDR 512
ATI 8500dv AIW video card
2 x 160gb Maxtor Hard drives
SB LIve sound card
Windows XP pro

You reformatted your HD and did a clean install of windows and you still have the problem?

Wow. What I would do is take your hard drive out of the case and bring it to a friends house and swap it with their main drive, so that your drive boots with all of their components (a friends comp or any extra that works well). See if your media files work on the new hardware. If they don't then I'd imagine your drive is FUBAR. If they do work fine, then something is wrong with the rest of your computer. I couldn't really begin to say where though, perhaps the motherboard.

Also, you should run a hard drive benchmarking utility and make sure that the scores are reasonable. You could probably do a search of the forums on how to carry this part out and find what scores are reasonable.

Also, you probably have, but dl some fresh media files to make sure that all of yours just haven't corrupted somehow.

Good luck!

Good idea about trying in another machine.....duh, I should of thought of that. God I can be so fick sometimes. :D Maybe too obvious.

Thanks for the help

I tried the HD in another machine and the sound and video was ok. I think it must be something to do with the video settings or memory in this machine. I have noticed that when I play a video file it seems as though all the memory is used on the file(file manager).

use powermax to delete the hard drive and don't use pinnacle products. they have a history of crashing compter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom