external mic not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet wisner

Beta member
Hi all,

I'm connecting an external mic, and have it connected to the mic input on back of tower. It seems to work okay, I guess but do I need to do anything in Sounds and Audio Manager to recognize the mic?

I currently have listed under Sound Recording: Logitec Mic, which is my webcam mic, but that's not what I'm wanting to use. The other option is Realtek AC97 Audio, which when I select that, the mic isn't working.

My computer doesn't seem to recognize the mic I'm wanting to use.

Windows XP, and IE8

I hope I can get some help here. I'm trying to make some youtube videos.

thanks,

chet

we're not sure what your setup is, because you havent said. We're also not sure what you want it to be. most motherboards these days have audio and input jacks, which should be disabled in the bios before you use another audio device/etc from something like say a sound blaster card. realtek audio ac97 is a very common audio off of a motherboard. It isn't going to recognize the specific type of microphone you have. it doesn't frankly care and it doesnt matter. it simply gets a signal from the device. what it is telling you is the chiptype that is driving that particular audio. If your mic is working, and you said it was, then well....it's obviously plugged into the jack that is being used. you also want to make sure its in the mic jack, but thats about all you have to worry about, based on the info you've said (not mentioning wanting to use a different audio card/etc) I might add that onboard audio is ok, but thats usually all it is. so don't expect extreme abilities or it being able to deliver the quality of like a asus xonar essence stx, or whatever. also make sure your mic impedance matches the ability as well as the signal levels. If your using a professional mic, they often have very little signal strength, if your audio card needs say 1/10th volt minimal, and your mic only puts out 1/1000th, then well your going to be shouting into that puppy to hear anything. you can often boost within by software, but that comes with increase in noise and then there isn;t any use of using a professional mic. the best route is to get a decent matching card or a preamp or mic to linein amplifier. Cheap mics like the ones used for your pc headset, are geared to deliver the correct power, but then of course they aren't professional, they're made to be able to talk to your buddies while playing sof. and for your output impedance for your mic should be under your input impedance impedance for your audio device. if it is, you'll be fine. The higher the impedance of your mic, compared to your card will result in more signal loss. eventually you wont even be able to tell what a person is saying at all.

Thanks for the reply,

Not sure what you mean about my setup?

If your using a professional mic, they often have very little signal strength, if your audio card needs say 1/10th volt minimal, and your mic only puts out 1/1000th, then well your going to be shouting into that puppy to hear anything.

Confirmed! It's not going to do what I want it for. I'm just wanting to make some music videos for YouTube (guitar solos), and it isn't loud enough.

How do I go about determining the signal output of the mic I have, and that of my sound card, which is onboard?

Are there any cheaper remedies beyond purchasing an amp?

Here's the mic I have, from Radio Shack.

Unidirectional Dynamic Microphone - RadioShack.com

it doesnt list any specs there for it, so dont know what to tell you. I don;t know the specs on all mics and motherboards. using a preamp is about the only thing you actually can do, besides maybe buy a better sound card or different mic. You might have a +20 db boost in your system also. that will of course boost noise as well, but you'll be able to use it for normal stuff.
make sure all your settings and mixer are up and not real low too I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom