Encoding formats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiles

Baseband Member
I've had an Ipod for a while, but I really haven't put much music on it.

I want to encode my CD Library but I'm not sure how I should go about doing it. As I understand it Ipods can play MP3 or AAC. Which format sounds better? What bitrate should I use (I'd prefer to have a balance of good quality and compression)

Thank you:beard:

Wiles said:
I've had an Ipod for a while, but I really haven't put much music on it.

I want to encode my CD Library but I'm not sure how I should go about doing it. As I understand it Ipods can play MP3 or AAC. Which format sounds better? What bitrate should I use (I'd prefer to have a balance of good quality and compression)

Thank you:beard:

320kbps AAC

Thanks for the reply.

Are there any free AAC encoders that can encode at 320kps? I don't think Itunes goes above 128 (or I'm dense and didn't figure out how!)

Another question is there any advantage to choosing a variable bitrate? Or should I stay away fromt that altogether?

Wiles said:
Thanks for the reply.

Are there any free AAC encoders that can encode at 320kps? I don't think Itunes goes above 128 (or I'm dense and didn't figure out how!)

Another question is there any advantage to choosing a variable bitrate? Or should I stay away fromt that altogether?

set itunes to custom, then raise it.

use variable bitrate when you are encoding at lower level, i.e 128kbps

Ripping with itunes has reminded me of how much I dislike itunes!

Thanks for pointing out what I was missing for changing the bitrate. After ripping one CD however I think I'd like to try another program. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom