DVD-R's won't WORK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julez1054

Solid State Member
I recently installed a DVD-RW. I understand to rip a DVD you must go thru a process of decrypting it and such. I have tried everything program imaginable and nothing is working. I had purchased DVD-R's - 30 blank ones, and they won't read in my disc drive. The drive burns CDs, it's plays DVDs...so I know it's installed properly. I have Nero, and Roxio - both latest versions of each software and they won't recognize that the DVD-R is in my drive to burn to. I've used DVD Encrypter, which works fine - including DVD Shrink....

I'm wonder, should I go and try to use the DVD-RW discs? I'm thinking maybe the DVD-R's just aren't working.....

Someone help.:mad:

Yes try DVD +R's. 3-4 years ago everybody made that mistake when they first got a dvd burner

Everyone has a good point

Depending upon the DVD-ROM or DVD player, they may only play the specific type either "+" or "-" some will do both. The "-" format runs at a slower speed, but is recommended for making master copies. The "+" format is more accepted today with the faster DVD+R recording capabilities. Personally I stil use the "-" since that seems to be the only type that works in all or my DVD players in the house. Please see the link below for more info for DVD burning:

DVDR Help

Hope that helps!

It's ALSO possible it's the media and NOT the burner! My dvd won't use memorex but WILL use HP and Staples...go figure. So before giving up, try a different media. Memorex is NOTORIOUS for being a bad choice and it's usually the one everyone gets first. Liz

Funny, and Memorex is the brand I have. But, I was just talking to an IT buddy that I work with and he said he had the same problems with his driver at first. My drive is a combination though -it's a DVD-RW and a CD-RW, so it does both tasks...

He said I have to make sure I have the drive switched to be recognized as a DVD-RW drive, and not a CD-RW if I want to burn DVD's.....It sounds right to me - now my next question is....

How the heck and where do you go to switch those drives?

Julez1054 said:
Funny, and Memorex is the brand I have. But, I was just talking to an IT buddy that I work with and he said he had the same problems with his driver at first. My drive is a combination though -it's a DVD-RW and a CD-RW, so it does both tasks...

He said I have to make sure I have the drive switched to be recognized as a DVD-RW drive, and not a CD-RW if I want to burn DVD's.....It sounds right to me - now my next question is....

How the heck and where do you go to switch those drives?

tell him to cut it out. all dvd burners are cd burners on the side. Get + media.

what's the name of your burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom