DVD rip software, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanchan05

In Runtime
I'm looking for a good dvd ripping software as I want to carry all my movies in my external HDD. I got a lot of movies in CD format. I want a ripping software that is not THAT resource heavy and is quite fast.

Also, does any of you guys know how to transfer videos from VHS to soft format? I got a lot of old tapes collected over the years by my mom. Some of the movies were pretty good so...^_^

Thanks. Do I need certain software for the VHS rip? I could see a software for that from your list.

To rip DVD I would recommend SlySoft's AnyDVD. It is the most compatible DVD ripping software I've seen because it can crack even the latest DRM and provide clean ISO rips that play on VLC or can be transcoded to other formats. I had problems ripping new DVD's with old programs (like DVD Decrypter or libdvdcss in Linux) but AnyDVD ripped every DVD I've tried (though I had to get a newer version for one DVD).

As for VHS rips, you will need a TV tuner/video capture card. You need to hook your VCR up to your PC's capture card (usually by composite [yellow plug] video and audio [red and white plugs] to a 3.5mm minijack using an adapter or cord). From there, use any program that records video, start recording on the PC, and then press play on the VCR (after you get the tape in the right spot of course). The PC has to record the entire duration of the tape (there's no fast way to do it like DVD can) and then you must click stop to stop the PC recording after the tape is over.

I don't recommend recording from VHS unless they are home videos that you can't just re-purchase or download as a DVD or digital video file. The DVD will have much better quality than a VHS rip using a TV tuner will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom