DVD-R vs. +R

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjon32

Beta member
This may have been posted before, but I searched and couldn't find it. Where do people stand on the issue of DVD-Rs vs. DVD+Rs for burning? I've found there's more varying quality across brands than between the two media, but I still always use +R. Any thoughts?

same thing, people just pick one or the other. DVD-R has a little more space than the +R.

In 2002 a new format was developed called DVD+R (or "plus" R). Created by a coalition called the DVD+RW Alliance, this format uses a number of improved technologies that, while generally unnoticeable to the end user, make a more reliable technology. One example is the ADIP system of tracking and speed control used by DVD+R being less susceptible to interference and error than the LPP system used by DVD-R, which makes the ADIP system more accurate at higher speeds. In addition, DVD+R(W) has a more robust error management system than DVD-R(W), allowing for more accurate burning to media independent of the quality of the media. Additional session linking methods are more accurate with DVD+R(W) versus DVD-R(W), resulting in fewer damaged or unusable discs due to buffer under-run and multi-session disks with fewer PI/PO errors.
This is from the DVD-R page on Wikipedia. It seems that the +R format is more preferred because it has more "quality" than its counterpart. This means that it can better record the data, once or subsequently. As a result, DVD+R is more preferred for archiving data such as backups since it is "technically better" than DVD-R.

I thought it was more of a compatibility issue. -R is supported by certain companies and +R is supported by certain companies. Although that doesn't seem to be the issue anymore cuz they try to make everything compatible. Last time I heard more brands use +R than -R. I use +R but still have incompatibility issues... so it's all BS to me. HAHA.

My burner burns +R at 12x but -R at 8x, so I use +R usually. But if -R is cheap, I buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom