Dvd-r Dvd+r Wtf??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesson81

Baseband Member
I went to Cosco to buy some Blank DVD's today, and there was DVD-R and DVD+R, It was buy one get one free. I didn't know which i need, so I bought one and got the other for free, so I i came home with both.

Which is better. + or -. I was thinking that + is. Though The more I try to find the difference the more confusing it is. I don't want to open the +'s and they not be compatible and be it to late to return.

I found some web sites pertatining to this, way over my head, like trying to teach a three year old quantum physics.

I did found out what hardware i was running: pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108.

Can someone give me the easy way of finding compaitibility. I also have other computers in the house. So I would like to know how to figure it out.

Thanks again for your help, once again.......

The DVD+R format is divergent from the DVD-R format. Hybrid drives that can handle both, often labeled "DVD±RW", are very popular since there is not a single standard for recordable DVDs. There are a number of significant technical differences between the "minus" and the "plus" format, though most users would not notice the difference. One example is the DVD+R style ADIP (ADdress In Pregroove) system of tracking and speed control being less susceptible to interference and error than the LPP (Land Pre Pit) system used by DVD-R, which makes the ADIP system more accurate at higher speeds. In addition, DVD+R(W) has a more robust error management system than DVD-R(W), allowing for more accurate burning to media independent of the quality of the media. Additional session linking methods are more accurate with DVD+R(W) versus DVD-R(W), resulting in fewer damaged or unusable discs due to buffer under-run and multi-session disks with fewer PI/PO errors.[3]

Taken right from Wikipedia.

hahahaha,, that's halarious.

So can i Use DVD+R in that drive that i specified?? DVD+R is better than DVR-R?..from what i gather.

I'm on my laptop right now but when I right click the d drive in "computer" and then click the hardware tab, by dvd player is a:

Optiarc DVD +-RW AD-5560A ATA Device

Is that the hybrid which can do both?? I don't think my desk top says +-

So let me get this straight DVD+R doesn't carry more memory than a -R, because I'm trying to find out the difference between dual layer and not dual layer.

Thanks again..

Yes the pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108 can use both types. The laptop can as well. I jsut checked a couple of Pioneer sites and it says both. At 8x.

No. They both carry roughly 4.5GB of information. Dual Layer can carry up to 8.5GB of information.

Wonder why they even bothered with both standards?
=D nice i learned something new today

Well DVD-R was developed in 1997, and DVD+R is developed recently.
DVD+R(W) has a more robust error management system than DVD-R(W), allowing for more accurate burning to media independent of the quality of the media.
Since mostly movies are turning into DVD rather then the old tapes. Higher demands are needed for the DVD-R. With it's new technology it can handles things like error better. Which in the end, is all for the money xD

Wow I never knew that thanks Mak :]

Wonder why they even bothered with both standards?

Why did they bother with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray? Something we will just never know.:laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom