DVD Converting

Status
Not open for further replies.
with a sempron 2800+, takes about 65-70mins for a 2hr movie converting to mpeg4 @ 720x480 resolution w/mp3 audio

about 90mins @ 480x320 resolution

both done on the fly with mencoder, extra pass adds another 20-30mins

using transcode or many others it can several hours, having to rip the dvd onto a drive adds time too, ripping it on the fly works much better

I usually do 2 or 3 at once, saves a little time, doing 2 at once takes a little less than twice as long.

horndude said:
with a sempron 2800+, takes about 65-70mins for a 2hr movie converting to mpeg4 @ 720x480 resolution w/mp3 audio

about 90mins @ 480x320 resolution

both done on the fly with mencoder, extra pass adds another 20-30mins

using transcode or many others it can several hours, having to rip the dvd onto a drive adds time too, ripping it on the fly works much better

I usually do 2 or 3 at once, saves a little time, doing 2 at once takes a little less than twice as long.

I tried to use that program once. I couldn't understand it. do you have a link for a tutorial giude?

well to do it on the fly with mencoder its commandline or write a batch script or use a quick and easy visual basic app to set the options and have it call mencoder

with linux you can use the "man" pages which are help pages for all commands, windows doesnt have this

try the mplayer site:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html

basically for mpeg4 family of codecs which xvid and opendivx are both part of use this:

{mencoder dvd://X -aid=Y -o filename -oac <audio codec> -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqmin=2:vbitrate=2150 } all one line no braces around it

X= title number on dvd to rip
Y=128 for english audio track
audio codec use "copy" or "mp3lame" w/o quotes

to deinterlace add "-vf-add pp=fd" to the end

the above will rip it into 720x480 resolution with bitrate @2150 which is near dvd quality, about 1GB to 1.7GB for a long movie---its good enough to go backwards and convert back into DVD mpeg2 no problem, very low loss of quality

goto that website and download a windows copy, put it in a folder on your desktop after unzipping it, open a command prompt then move into that folder and enter the above command

if it doesnt work, then download cygwin plus the mysys development kit and then download the linux version and compile it on your system, the version at the mplayer site isnt compiled to work on all systems, but it does have mp3lame, libdvdcss(for encrypted dvd's), xvid and the lavc open source mpeg4 codec compiled in it

**** near all windows encoding apps for video these days rely on mencoder or one of its variants and it comes from linux, just compiled to work on windows-----you will see mencoder.dll in alot of windows apps, you will see ffmpeg alot too

mplayer/mencoder can do almost anything cept encode back into mpeg, that is still experimental

but you can dump audio,video, do post processing, filtering, rescaling, etc etc etc

if you have multiple dvd drives like I do, the first one will work with the above, extra drives add this right after dvd://X

-dvd-device [ <drive letter>] like -dvd-device f:

horndude said:
the above will rip it into 720x480 resolution with bitrate @2150 which is near dvd quality, about 1GB to 1.7GB for a long movie---its good enough to go backwards and convert back into DVD mpeg2 no problem, very low loss of quality

That is exactly how they are right now,... The ones that I have that were ripped @ the LAN! they are like anywhere from inbetween the sizes u named... The only thing is that I understand like nothing u are saying.. I know none of those huge terms, isnt there a easy noob way u can put this in... haha i would love to do this no matter how lnog it takes per.

this isnt difficult, gimme a day or two, I will write a quick visual basic app, had one working a week ago, only took about 15minutes to write

anyway, goto http://ftp5.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/releases/win32/ you want Mplayer---mingw whatever its called

download that
unzip into a folder on your desktop
open a command prompt
type cd Desktop\<foldername> --------->what you unzipped it into
then type this:
mencoder.exe dvd://1 -aid 128 -o test.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqmin=2:vbitrate=2150 -----all one long line, it will wrap around

hit enter and watch it go, that will rip title one on the dvd into a file called test.avi which will be in the same directory your in at the moment

also included is mplayer, it plays almost anything, one of the best video players on the planet, on screen keyboard controls, very fast, lots of options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom